THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Senior Policy Advisor, World Customs Organization
Mariya Polner joined the WCO in 2009 and since then she has occupied several positions. In her current role as a Senior Policy Advisor at the WCO Enforcement and Compliance Sub-Directorate, she deals with a variety of issues related to illicit trade, governance, security and data analytics. Since 2015, she has become a Programme Lead on Cultural Heritage, working on the development and implementation of the global advocacy to counter illicit trafficking of cultural objects, as well as the deployment of the operational tools for Customs administrations.
Before joining the WCO, Mariya worked at the European Commission’s Directorate General on External Relations and at the European Union Border Assistance Mission to Moldova and Ukraine. Mariya holds two degrees: an MA in International Relations from Central European University (Budapest, Hungary), and an MA in EU Politics from the College of Europe (Bruges, Belgium).
- Polner, Mariya (2019), “Preventing illicit trafficking of cultural objects: a supply chain perspective”, in Saskia Hufnagel and Duncan Chappell (eds), The Palgrave Handbook on Art Crime, Palgrave Macmillan UK, pp.769-793.
- Polner, Mariya (2018), “Harnessing the power of data for Customs enforcement”, Global Trade and Customs Journal, Volume 13, Issue 4, pp.182-185.
- Cantens, Thomas and Mariya Polner (2016), “Fighting corruption in Customs: some theoretical insights and empirical lessons”, In Rafa Ksek, Maxim Boroda, Ziemowit Jówik (ed.), Addressing Security Risks at the Ukrainian Border Through Best Practices on Good Governance, NATO Science for Peace and Security Series, pp. 74-94.
- Polner, Mariya and Daniel Moell (2015), “Inter-agency collaboration”, in R. D. White and G. Pink (eds.), Environmental Crime and Collaborative State Intervention, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, pp.59-75.
- Polner, Mariya (2015), “Customs and Illegal Trade: Old Game – New Rules”, Journal of Borderlands Studies, Vol.30, No. 3, Routledge, pp.329-344.
- Polner, Mariya, “Compendium of AEO Programmes” (2012, 2011, 2010 editions), WCO Research Paper Series, Brussels.
- Polner, Mariya (2011), “Coordinated Border Management: from Theory to Practice”, World Customs Journal, Vol.5, No.2, pp.49-64.
- Michael, Bryane and Mariya Polner (2008), “Transdnistrian Border: Lessons from Failed and New Successful Anti-Corruption Programmes”, Transition Studies Review, Vol.15, No.3, Springer, pp.524 – 541.
- Polner, Mariya (2008), “Securing ‘From Within’: the EU Policies in Transdnistria”, Politikon, the IAPSS Journal of Political Science, Vol.14, No.2, pp.67 – 93.
Kathi Lynn Austin
Executive Director, Conflict Awareness ProjectVIEW PROFILE
Assistant Professor, Policy Alternatives Research Institute, University of TokyoVIEW PROFILE
Senior Criminal Justice and Policy Expert/ Deputy Director General, Transnational Alliance to Combat Illicit TradeVIEW PROFILE
Chairman, International IP Crime Investigators College / Director & Founder, Ellis & Associates LtdVIEW PROFILE
Professor, Northeastern UniversityVIEW PROFILE
Associate Fellow, Centre for Financial Crime and Security Studies, RUSIVIEW PROFILE