THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Head, Peace & Conflict Studies Unit, National Research Institute of World Economy & International Relations (IMEMO), Moscow
Dr Stepanova heads Peace and Conflict Studies Unit and is a lead researcher at National Research Institute of the World Economy & International Relations (IMEMO), Moscow, and a Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS) Professor. Her research and publications focus on insurgencies and terrorism, armed conflicts and peace-building, extremist ideologies, radicalization, violent networks, human security, and political economy of conflicts.
Her several books include “Terrorism in Asymmetrical Conflict: Ideological and Structural Aspects” (Oxford University Press, 2008). Her edited volumes include “Humanitarian Challenges, Humanitarian Support and Human Protection in Armed Conflicts” (IMEMO, 2018), “Addressing Terrorism, Violent Extremism and Radicalization: Perspectives from Russia and the United States” (IMEMO, 2017) and“Terrorism: Patterns of Internationalization” (Sage, 2009). She is also the author of over 200 other publications in ten languages. She serves on editorial boards of journals “Terrorism and Political Violence”, “Global Responsibility to Protect” and “Global Governance” and edits the journal “Pathways to Peace and Security”.
Prof. Stepanova teaches in English at the International Programs at MGIMO-University (Moscow), School of Public Policy, Russian Academy of National Economy & Public Administration (RANEPA), and European University in Saint-Petersburg (EUSP).
She serves as an expert at the Global Peace Index methodology panel and the IMEMO contact point for the UN Counterterrorism Committee Executive Directorate’s Global Research Network. She is a member of the Global Initiative against Transnational Organized Crime, the Joint U.S.-Russia Expert Group on Afghanistan etc.
- Stepanova, Ekaterina, Terrorism in Asymmetrical Conflict: Ideological and Structural Aspects, SIPRI Research Report no. 23 (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008), 200 p.
- See also in Espanol: Stepanova E., Terrorismo en el conflicto asimétrico: aspectos ideológicos y estructurales, En Torno a la Asimetría, Cuadernos de Actualidad en Defensa y Estrategia, no. 2. (Buenos Aires: Ministeria de Defensa, 2009), 178 p.
- Stepanova E., Terrorizm v asimmetrichnom konflikte: ideologicheskiye i strukturnyie aspekty, Institute of World Economy & International Relations; rev. and expand. ed. (Moscow: Nauchnaya kniga, 2010), 288 p., in Russian.
- Stepanova E.A., [The Role of Illicit Drug Business in the Political Economy of Conflicts and Terrorism] (Moscow: Ves Mir, 2005), 312 p., in Russian.
- Stepanova E., Anti-Terrorism and Peace-Building During and After Conflict (Stockholm: SIPRI, 2003), 56 p.
- Reprinted in: Evangelista M. (ed.), Peace Studies: Critical Concepts in Political Science (London: Routledge, 2005), Vol. III, pp. 338–389.
- Stepanova E.A., [Civil-Military Relations in Operations Other Than War] (Moscow: Human Rights Publ., 2001), 272 p., in Russian.
Editor (and co-author), collective monographs:
- Stepanova E. (ed.), Humanitarian Challenges, Humanitarian Support and Human Protection in Armed Conflicts (Moscow: IMEMO, 2018), 331 p., in English and Russian.
- Stepanova E. (ed.), Addressing Terrorism, Violent Extremism and Radicalization: Perspectives from Russia and the United States (Moscow: IMEMO, 2017), 262 p., in English and Russian.
- Stepanova E. (co-ed.), Terrorism: Patterns of Internationalization (New Delhi; London; Los Angeles; Singapore: Sage, 2009), 266 p., in English.
- Stepanova E. (co-ed.), [Kosovo: International Aspects of the Crisis] (Moscow: Carnegie Moscow Center, 1999), 309 p., in Russian.
Book chapters (in English, unless otherwise noted)
- Stepanova E., “Russia: Response to terrorism in the twenty-first century,” in Michael Boyle (ed.),
- Non-Western Responses to Terrorism, New Directions in Terrorism Studies series (Manchester University Press, January 2019).
- Stepanova E. (co-author), “Violence, wars, peace, and security,” in Rethinking Society for the 21st Century, Vol. 2: Political Regulation, Governance and Societal Transformations (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2018), pp. 411–456.
- Stepanova E., “Russia’s approach to the conflict in Libya, the East-West dimension and the role of the OSCE,” in Andrea Dessi and Ettore Greco (eds.), The Search for Stability in Libya: OSCE’s Role between Internal Obstacles and External Challenges (Rome: Instituto Affari Internazionali (IAI) / Nuova Cultura, 2018), p. 89–111.
- Stepanova E., “Russia’s Policy on Afghanistan,” in Marlene Laruelle (ed.), The Central Asia – Afghanistan Relationship: From Soviet Intervention to the Silk Road Initiatives (Lanham, MD: Lexington Books / Rowman & Littlefield, 2017), p. 89–114.
- Stepanova E., Cragin K., “Terrorism and countering violent extremism,” in Andrei Kortunov and Olga Oliker (eds.), A Roadmap for the U.S.-Russia Relations. A Report of the CSIS Russia and Eurasia Program and Russian International Affairs Council (Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield, 2017), p. 73–81.
- Stepanova E., “Russia”, in The Oxford Handbook of the Responsibility to Protect, ed. by Alex Bellamy and Tim Dunne (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016), pp. 409–428.
- Stepanova E., “Transnational Islamist terrorism: network fragmentation and bottom-up regionalization,” in Global Terrorism Index 2014: Measuring and Understanding the Impact of Terrorism (Sydney, New York, London: Institute of Economics & Peace, 2014), pp. 74–78.
- Stepanova E., “Terrorism and antiterrorism,” in M.Kaldor and I.Rangelov (eds.), The Handbook of Global Security Policy (London: Wiley-Blackwell, 2014), pp. 126–144.
- Stepanova E., “Lone wolves and network agents in leaderless jihad: the case of the Boston Marathon bombing cell”, in K.Rekawek and M.Milosevic (eds.), Perseverance of Terrorism: Focus on Leaders (Amsterdam: IOS Press, 2014), pp. 50–63.
- Stepanova E., “The evolution of the al-Qaeda-type terrorism: networks and beyond,” in L.Bossi, C.Demetriou and S.Malthaner (eds), Dynamics of Political Violence: A Process-Oriented Perspective on Radicalization and the Escalation of Political Conflict (Farnham, VA: Ashgate, 2014), pp. 288–305.
- Stepanova E. “La politica de Rusia en Oriente Medio ante la “primavera arabe”,” en Javier Morales (comp.), Rusia en la sociedad internacional (Madrid: Unidad de Investigación sobre Seguridad y Cooperación Internacional (UNISCI), 2012), pp. 171–203, in Spanish.
- Stepanova E. “Future trends in violent threats to security,” in Global Strategic Developments: A Futuristic Vision (Abu Dhabi: The Emirates Center for Strategic Studies and Research (ECSSR), 2012), pp. 167–193; also in Arabic.
- Stepanova E. Hostage-Taking and Barricade as a Terrorist Tactic, in Terrorism Research and Analysis Consortium (TRAC) (chapter in electronic encyclopedia), Beacham Publishing Corp., 2012, <http://www.trackingterrorism.org>
- Stepanova Е. “Transnational threats: terrorism, drug trafficking, piracy,” in A.Dynkin and N.Ivanova (eds), Russia in a Polycentric World (Moscow: Ves’ Mir, 2012), pp. 143–150; also available in Russian.
- Stepanova E. “Beyond ‘narcoterrorism’: illicit drug business and terrorist tactics in armed conflicts”, in The Politics of Narcotic Drugs: A Survey (London: Routledge, 2010), pp. 122–132.
- Stepanova E., “Armed conflict, crime and criminal violence,” in SIPRI Yearbook 2010: Armaments, Disarmament and International Security (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2010), pp. 37–60.
- Stepanova E. “Illicit drug business and armed conflicts: the scope and limits of the links,” in J.G.Tokatlian (ed.)., Drugs and Prohibition: An Old War, a New Debate (Buenos Aires: Zorzal, 2010), pp. 287–314;
- See also in Spanish: Stepanova E., “El negocio de las drogas ilicitas y los conflictos armados: alcance y límites de sus vinculos,” J.Tokatlian (comp.), Drogas y prohibicion: Una vieja guerra, un nuevo debate (Buenos Aires: Libros de Zorzal, 2010), pp. 313–344.
- Stepanova E., “Islamist terrorism in the Caucasus and Central Asia,” in Alex Schmid and Garry Hindle (eds.), After the War on Terror: Regional and Multilateral Perspectives on Counterterrorism Strategy (London: RUSI Books, 2009), pp. 104–124.
- Stepanova E., “Terrorism and political extremism,” in Graeme Herd (ed.), Great Powers and Strategic Stability in the 21st Century: Competing Visions of World Order (London: Routledge, 2010), pp. 23–44.
- Stepanova E., “One-sided violence against civilians in armed conflicts,” SIPRI Yearbook 2009: Armaments, Disarmament and International Security (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009), pp. 39–68;
- Stepanova E. “Massive conventional terrorist attack as a threat to critical infrastructure security,” in Nayef al-Rodhan (ed.), Potential Global Strategic Catastrophes (Berlin, Wien, London, Zurich etc.: LIT Verlag, 2009), pp. 253–269.
- Stepanova E., “New trends and challenges in modern armed conflicts,” in Sungho Kang, John W. McDonald and Chinsoo Bae (eds.), Conflict Resolution and Peacebuilding: The Role of NGOs in Historical Reconciliation and Territorial Issues (Seoul: Northeast Asian History Foundation, 2009), pp. 25–46.
- Stepanova E., “Islamist terrorism as a threat to Europe: the scope and limits of the challenge”, in D.Ulusoy (ed.), Political Violence, Organised Crime, Terrorism and Youth, NATO Science for Peace and Security Series: Human and Societal Dynamics, Vol. 46 (Amsterdam: IOS Press, 2008), pp. 141–158.
- Stepanova E., “Un patron para el estudio de los conflictos armadas,” en Una Mirada al Mundo del Siglo XXI (Madrid: Ministeria de Defensa, 2008), pp. 35– 45, in Spanish.
- Stepanova E., “Trends in armed conflicts,” in SIPRI Yearbook 2008: Armaments, Disarmament and International Security (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008), pp. 44–71.
- Stepanova E., “At-tatarruf ad-dinij wa al-kawmiyya ar-radikaliyya aidiologijatan lil’unf al-musallyah al-lemutanazir” [Religious extremism and radical nationalism as ideologies of asymmetrical armed violence], in Al-hewar al-kawmij – al-islami [The dialogue between nationalism and Islam], (Beirut: Centre for Arab Unity Studies, 2008), pp. 679–689, in Arabic.
- Pikayev A. and Stepanova Ye., “Nonproliferation and nuclear terrorism,” in Alexei Arbatov and Vladimir Dvorkin (eds), Nuclear Weapons After the Cold War (Moscow: Carnegie Moscow Centre; R.Elinin Publishing House, 2008), pp. 271–306.
- Stepanova E., “Cultures of solidarity and national interest: Russia’s conflict management policies,” in Jean-Marc Coicaud and Nicholas J. Wheeler (eds.), National Interest and International Solidarity: Particular and Universal Ethics in International Life (Tokyo: United Nations University Press, 2008), pp. 87–119.
- Stepanova E., “Iraq and world order: a Russian perspective,” in Ramesh Thakur and Waheguru Pal Singh Sidhu (eds.), The Iraq Crisis and World Order: Structural, Institutional and Normative Challenges (Tokyo: UNU Press, November 2006), pp. 249–264.
- Stepanova E., “Terrorism as a tactics of spoilers in peace processes,” in Edward Newmann and Oliver Richards (eds.), Challenges to Peacebuilding: Managing Spoilers During Conflict Resolution (Tokyo: United Nations University Press, 2006), pp. 78–104.
- Stepanova E., “Legal and practical aspects of the antiterrorism campaign,” in SIPRI Yearbook 2005: IMEMO Contribution (Moscow: Nauka, 2006), pp. 36–59.
- Stepanova E., “The use of Russia’s security forces in post-conflict environment,” in Albrecht Schnabel and Hans-Georg Ehrhart (eds.), Security Sector Reform and Post-Conflict Peace-Building (Tokyo: United Nations University Press, 2006), pp. 133-155.
- Stepanova E., “Russia’s approach to the fight against terrorism,” in J.Hedenskog, V.Konnander et al. (eds.), Russia as a Great Power: Dimensions of Security under Putin (London: Routledge-Curzon, 2005), pp. 301–322.
- Stepanova E., “International peace-building and radical Islamic organizations in war-torn areas: beyond terrorism,” in The Failure of Political Islam, Human Rights Conflict Prevention Centre Research Papers [Bihac, Bosnia-Herzegovina], vol. IV, no. 3–4 (2004), pp. 507–527.
- Stepanova E., “Linking anti-terrorism and peace operations: specifics and constraints,” in Peace Support Operations, Parliaments and Legislation (Moscow, Geneva: Geneva Centre for the Democractic Control of the Armed Forces; Centre for Political and International Studies, 2004), pp. 134–141.
- Stepanova E., “The OSCE and the US-Russian Cooperation in the Fight against Terrorism,” in OSCE Yearbook 2002, Institute for Peace Research & Security Policy, Hamburg Univ. (Baden-Baden: Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft, 2003), pp. 59–72;
- see also in German: “Die OSZE und die amerikanisch-russische Zusammenarbeit im Kampf gegen den Terrorismus,” in OSZE – Jahrbuch 2002 (Baden-Baden: Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft, 2002), pp. 63–76.
- Stepanova E., “Russia and international cooperation in the fight against terrorism,” in SIPRI Yearbook 2002: IMEMO Contribution (Moscow: Nauka, 2003), pp. 32–46.
- Stepanova E., “The unilateral and multilateral use of force by the United States,” in David M. Malone and Yuen-Foong Khong (eds.), Unilateralism and U.S. Foreign Policy: International Perspectives (Boulder, Col.: Lynne Rienner, 2003), pp. 181–200.
- Stepanova E., “Russia and the combat against terrorism in local and regional conflicts,” Russia: Arms Control, Disarmament and International Security: IMEMO Contribution to the Russian Edition of SIPRI Yearbook 2001 (Moscow: IMEMO, 2002), pp. 42–58.
- Stepanova E., “Russia’s policy on the Kosovo crisis: the limits of ‘cooperative peacemaking’,” in Kurt R. Spillman & Joachim Krause (eds.), Kosovo: Lessons Learned for International Cooperative Security (Bern, Berlin: Peter Lang Publ., 2000), pp. 205–230;
- see also in German: “Russlands Politik in der Kosovo-Krise: Die Grenzen der ‘Partnerschaft fur den Frieden’,” in Joachim Krause (ed.), Kosovo: Humanitare Intervention und kooperative Sicherheit in Europa (Berlin: Leske+Budrich, 2000), pp.147–166.
- Stepanova E., Russia’s Afghan Policy in the Regional and Russia-West Contexts, Russie.NEI.Reports, no. 23 (Paris: Institut français des relations internationales (Ifri), 2018), 48 p.
- Stepanova E., Russia’s Concerns Relating to Afghanistan and the Broader Region in the Context of the US/NATO Withdrawal, Policy Research Paper Series “Sources of Tension in Afghanistan and Pakistan – Regional Perspectives” (Barcelona: CIDOB, 2013), 23 p.
- Stepanova E., Afghanistan after 2014: The Way Forward for Russia, Russie.NEI.Visions, no. 71, May 2013 (Paris: Ifri, 2013), 19 p.
- See also in French: Stepanova E., L’Afghanistan après 2014: quel impact pour la Russie? Russie.NEI.Visions, no. 71 (Paris: Ifri, 2013), 22 p.
- Stepanova E. (principal author), Afghan Narcotrafficking: A Joint Threat Assessment, Report by Joint U.S.-Russia Working Group on the Afghan Narcotrafficking (New York etc.: EastWest Institute, 2013), 60 p.
Articles in academic journals (in English, unless otherwise noted)
- Stepanova E., “Russian and conflicts in the Middle East: regionalization and implications for the West,” in The International Spectator, vol. 53, no. 4 (2018), DOI: 10.1080/03932729.2018.1507135
- Stepanova E., “Regionalization of violent jihadism and beyond: the case of Daesh”, in Interdisciplinary Journal for Religion and Transformation in Contemporary Society, no. 3: Religious Fundamentalism (June 2016), p. 30–55.
- Stepanova E., Russia in the Middle East: Back to a “Grand Strategy” – or Enforcing Multilateralism? Politique étrangère, no. 2 ( Summer 2016), p. 23-35.
- See also in French: Stepanova E., “La Russie a-t-elle une “grande stratégie” au Moyen Orient?,” Politique étrangère, no. 2 (Été 2016), p. 23-35, in French.
- Stepanova E., Les Russes et l’État islamique: politique étrangère et facteurs internes, in Outre-Terre: Revue européenne de géopolitique, no. 44 (3), (2015) [Daech: Menace sur les civilisations], pp. 80-94, in French.
- Stepanova E. “Illicit drugs and insurgency in Afghanistan,” in Perspectives on Terrorism, vol. VI, no. 2 (May 2012), pp. 4–18.
- Stepanova E. “Asymmetrical conflict as a non-mathematical category” (book review), in Security Index [International Edition / London: Routledge], no. 2(95), (Spring 2011), pp. 85–90.
- Stepanova E., “Terror and consent: the wars for the twenty-first century” (book review), in International Affairs, vol. 85, no. 4 (July 2009), pp. 849–850.
- Stepanova E., “Islamist terrorism today: global and regional levels,” in Security Index, vol. 13, no. 1 (81) (Spring 2007), pp. 79–94.
- Stepanova E., “War and peace building,” The Washington Quarterly (Special Issue: “What Did 9/11 Change?”), vol. 27, no. 4 (Autumn 2004), pp. 127–136.
- Stepanova E., “Military operations other than war: the U.S. view,” in Military Thought, vol. 11, no. 2 (March-April 2002), pp. 127–133.
- Stepanova E., “U.S.-Russia cooperation in Afghanistan and its implications,” East European Constitutional Review (New York University Law School & Central European University Quarterly), vol. 10, no. 10 (Autumn 2001), pp. 92–95.
- Stepanova E., “Kosovo and Chechnya: illogical parallels,” Security Dialogue [Oslo: PRIO], vol. 31, no. 1 (March 2000), pp. 507–509.