THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Christian Vianna De Azevedo
Senior Special Agent, Brazilian Federal Police
Christian is a Special Agent with the Brazilian Federal Police for the past 18 years. Before joining the Federal Police, he was a Tax Lawyer and Consultant with KPMG International for 4 years. He holds a degree in Law (JD) and an MA in International Relations. Also, he is currently a PhD student in International Relations.
He has graduated from the National Defense University/Washington/DC in both “Strategy and Defense Policy” and Combating Transnational Organized Crime” courses. His expertise as a Federal Agent are as follows: Intelligence, Counterterrorism investigations, Intelligence Operations, Counter Intelligence, Jungle Operations, Counter Guerrilla Operations, Countering Transnational Organized Crime and Counternarcotics investigations. He has an extensive experience in transnational crime investigations and counterterrorism, both in Brazil and overseas. He was recently deployed for one year in the Middle Eastern region to investigate transnational terrorism threats and terrorism facilitation (crime x terror nexus).
As an academic researcher, his main themes of research are: Terrorism/CT, Insurgency/COIN, Countering Transnational Organized Crime and Asymmetric Conflicts. He is a research fellow at the following research centers: Terrorism Research Initiative – TRI (Brazilian branch), “Centro de Estudios sobre Crimen Organizado Transnacional” – CeCOT – IRI – Universidad Nacional La Plata – Argentina, Terrorism/CT and Organized Crime Research Network (Federal Police Academy), PRODEFESA (CAPES/MD) – Brazilian Ministry of Defense (In a project aimed at modelling interagency cooperation for CTOC). He has written and published a number of articles and book chapters in 3 different languages (Portuguese, English and Spanish).
Christian is also a lecturer and a professor at post graduation level in Brazil and overseas. He is a trainer/professor at UNICRI (United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute) in the area of “crime x terror nexus” and “Capacity Building to counter crime/terror convergence”. He is also a lecturer at Washington/DC based National Defense University’s Perry Center and NESA Center in the area of CTOC, CT and Capacity Building for countering crime/terror nexus.
- O Hezbollah e suas ações criminosas transnacionais: arrojo, dinamismo e eficiência na fusão entre crime e terrorismo (Book chapter). In: Perspectivas do Terrorismo Transnacional Contemporâneo. Arraes Editores. v 01, P 84-136. 2019.
- Las Fuerzas Armadas y Su Actuación en la Seguridad Pública en Brasil: Un breve análisis de las operaciones para garantizar la ley y el orden. Centro de Estudios Estratégicos de Ejército de Peru – Peru- 2019.
- El reemplazo de las redes colombianas por las venezolanas en el narcotráfico fronterizo internacional. Real Instituto Elcano – España– 2019.
- Colômbia e as FARC: Cenários Pós Conflito e Repercussões Regionais.
Instituto Igarapé – Artigos Estratégicos – P 01-30 – 2018.
- Correlações Entre Migração Forçada e Terrorismo: reflexões sobre a crise dos refugiados na Europa. Meridiano 47 – UNB v 19. P 01-10 – 2018.
- Venezuela’s Toxic Relations with Iran and Hezbollah: an avenue of violence, crime, corruption and terrorism. Revista Brasileira de Ciências Policiais v. 9, P 43-90 – 2018
- Criminal Insurgency in Brazil. The case of Rio de Janeiro: context, confrontation issues and implications for Brazilian public security.
Small Wars Journal – USA – 2018.
- Reflections on Hezbollah’s violent and non-violent strategies and tactics.
Revista Mundorama. UnB. Periódico de divulgação científica em Relações Internacionais da Universidade de Brasília – 2018.
- Hezbollah’s involvement in the Syrian Civil War. How has the group been impacted? Revista Mundorama. UnB. Periódico de divulgação científica em Relações Internacionais da Universidade de Brasília – 2017.
- A rota dos diamantes na América do Sul e suas implicações no financiamento do terrorismo. Revista Defesa Aérea e Naval – Brasil – 2015.
- Demobilizing and reintegrating FARC fighters: The challenges faced to end the forever war. Revista Brasileira de Ciências Policiais – 2014.