THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Senior Research Fellow, Global Risk Governance Programme
Dr. Annette Hübschle is a senior research fellow with the Global Risk Governance Programme at the University of Cape Town (UCT). She is also affiliated with the Centre of Criminology at UCT and the School of Social and Political Sciences at the University Glasgow.
Annette holds a PhD in Social Sciences and Economics from the International Max Planck Research School on the Social and Political Constitution of the Economy and the University of Cologne, and a Master of Philosophy in Criminology from the University of Cape Town. Her research focuses on the governance of safety and security with a specific focus on illegal economies and the new harmscapes of the 21st century.
Before joining UCT, Annette was a doctoral researcher in the Illegal Markets research group at the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies in Germany. In the past, Annette worked as a senior researcher for the former Cape Town office of the Institute for Security Studies, a pan-African applied policy institute. She led and conducted research into organized crime and terrorism in Africa.
Annette has worked as a researcher, consultant, and practitioner on a variety of organized crime, environmental security and broader African security issues.
- Hübschle, Annette. 2017. “Fluid interfaces between flows of rhino horn.” Global Crime 18 (3): 198-217. doi: 10.1080/17440572.2017.1345680.
- Hübschle, Annette. 2017. “On the Record: Interview with Major General Johan Jooste (Retired), South African National Parks, Head of Special Projects.” South African Crime Quarterly 60 (June):61-68.
- Hübschle, Annette, and Andrew Faull. 2017. “Organised environmental crimes: trends, theory, impact and responses.” South African Crime Quarterly 60 (June): 3-7.
- Hübschle, Annette. 2017. “The social economy of rhino poaching: Of economic freedom fighters, professional hunters and marginalized local people.” Current Sociology 65 (3):427-447. doi: 10.1177/0011392116673210.
- Hübschle, Annette. 2016. “Security coordination in an illegal market: The transnational trade in rhinoceros horn.” Politikon 43 (2):193-214.
- “Economic sociology and opportunities for organised crime research“, Economic Sociology_The European Newsletter, Vol. 16, No. 3, July 2015.
- Hübschle, Annette. 2014. “Of Bogus Hunters, Queenpins and Mules: The Varied Roles of Women in Transnational Organized Crime in Southern Africa.” Trends in Organized Crime 17 (1-2):31-51. doi: 10.1007/s12117-013-9202-8.
- Hübschle, Annette, and Elrena Van der Spuy. 2012 “Organized crime and law enforcement in Southern Africa: The challenges confronting research.” SADC Law Journal 2 (2).
- Hübschle, Annette. 2011. “From Theory to Practice: Exploring the Organised Crime-Terror in Nexus in Sub-Saharan Africa.” Perspectives on Terrorism 5 (3-4):81-95.
- Hübschle, Annette. 2009. “Organised criminal business on the rise in Africa.” African Security Review 18 (4):1-3.
- Hübschle, Annette. 2006. “The T-word: Conceptualising terrorism.” African Security Studies 15 (3):1-18.
- Gastrow, Peter, and Annette Hübschle. 2006. “African perspectives on the international terrorism discourse.” African Security Review 15 (3): IV-VII.
- Banda, Jai, Anton Katz, and Annette Hübschle. 2005. “Rights versus justice: issues around extradition and deportation in transnational terrorist cases.” African Security Studies 14 (4): 59-67.
- Hübschle, Annette. 2005. “Crime and development: A contentious nexus?” African Security Review 14 (4): 1-3.
- Hübschle, Annette. 2005. “South Africa’s anti-terror law: Among the least restrictive?” African Security Review 14 (4): 105-108.
- “Schattenwirtschaft: Die Macht der illegalen Märkte”, book on illegal markets published by Verlag Klaus Wagenbach (co-authored with Matias Dewey, Caspar Dohmen and Nina Engwicht, September 2019
- Hübschle, Annette. 2017 “Contested illegality: Processing the trade prohibition of rhino horn.” In The architecture of illegal markets, edited by Jens Beckert and Matías Dewey. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Hübschle, Annette. 2016. “A Game of Horns: Transnational Flows of Rhino Horn“, Studies on the Social and Political Constitution of the Economy, Cologne: International Max Planck Research School on the Social and Political Constitution of the Economy.
- Hübschle, Annette. 2006. “Flogging a dead horse: The incongruity of measures against terrorist financing in Southern Africa.” In Money laundering experiences, edited by Charles Goredema, 91-120. Cape Town: Institute for Security Studies.
- Hübschle, Annette with Mafaro Kasipo. 2018. Gendered perspectives in law enforcement and fisheries crime: A Global South perspective. Vienna: LE Femmes, Pesca Dolus.
- Hübschle, Annette with Clifford Shearing. 2018. Ending wildlife trafficking: Local communities as change agents. Geneva: Global Initiative against Transnational Organised Crime.
- Hübschle, Annette. 2017. The Groenewald Criminal Network: Background, legislative loopholes and recommendations. Bogotá, Colombia: The Global Observatory of Transnational Criminal Networks.
- Cassidy, Liz, Annette Hübschle, and Charles Goredema. 2016. A special typologies project report on poaching and illegal trade in wildlife and wildlife products and associated money laundering in the ESAAMLG region. Dar es Salaam: Eastern and Southern African Anti Money Laundering Group.
- Hübschle, Annette, and Kimon de Greef. 2016. An exploration of the socio-economic impacts of two drug markets in South Africa. Washington: United States Agency for International Aid.
- Hübschle, Annette. 2010. Organised crime in Southern Africa. In ISS Special Reports. Pretoria, South Africa: Institute for Security Studies.
- Gould, Chandré, and Annette Hübschle. 2009. Submission in terms of the General Notice 2009, Department of Justice and Constitutional Affairs regarding the Prevention and Combating of Trafficking in Persons Bill. Pretoria: Institute for Security Studies.
- Hübschle, Annette. 2007. Terrorist financing in southern Africa: Are we making a mountain out of a molehill? In Institute for Security Studies Occasional Papers. Cape Town: Institute for Security Studies.
- Hübschle, Annette. 2004. Unholy alliance? Assessing the links between organised criminals and terrorists in Southern Africa. In Institute for Security Studies Papers. Cape Town: Institute for Security Studies.