THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Alexandra Abello Colak
Research Fellow, Latin American and Caribbean Centre, London School of Economics and Political Science
Alexandra is a Research Fellow at the Latin America and Caribbean Centre at the London School of Economics and Political Science. Her research focuses on dynamics of urban violence and insecurity in the Urban South. She is particularly interested in the challenges associated to providing security in cities affected by chronic levels of violence in Latin America and the Caribbean and with governance reconfigurations occurring in response to such violence.
She has undertaken ethnographic work in urban communities affected by historically high levels of violence where she has also co-developed action-oriented research methodologies to work with particularly vulnerable groups. In collaboration with academics and civil-society organisations from Latin America, these methodological innovations have been used to co-produce security knowledge with people living in in Colombian, Mexican, Honduran, Salvadoran, Jamaican, and Guatemalan communities severely affected by violence and criminality. Alexandra holds a PhD in Peace Studies and a MA in Conflict Resolution from University of Bradford in the United Kingdom and a BA in International Relations from Universidad del Rosario in Colombia.
- Abello Colak, A. and Kloppe-Santamaria, G. (Eds) Human Security and Chronic Violence in Mexico: New Perspectives and Proposals from Below. ITAM & MAPorrúa.
- Abello Colak, A 2019, ‘Untrusted democracies and failing security strategies: crises that refocus democratic governance in Latin America and the Caribbean’ Violence and Democracy British Academy
- Abello Colak, A and Pearce, J. (2018) ‘Security from Below’ in Contexts of Chronic Violence. In: Inclusive Peace and Security Luckham, R. (Ed) IDS Bulletin Archive Collection Vol. 49 Issue 1A, p 11-19
- Abello Colak, A and Pearce, J. (2015) Securing the Global City?: An Analysis of the ‘Medellín Model’ through Participatory Research Conflict Security and Development 15 (3):197-228
- Abello Colak, A, and Guarneros-Meza, V. (2014) The Role of Criminal Actors in Neighbourhood Governance Urban Studies 51 (15): p 3268 – 3289
Alvaro José PretelVIEW PROFILE
Senior Fellow, Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized CrimeVIEW PROFILE
Co-Founder at Noria Research / PhD Candidate at Sorbonne UniversityVIEW PROFILE
Investigative journalist, author and broadcaster and an associate professor at Columbia University’s Harriman InstituteVIEW PROFILE
Georgina Maribel Sierra-Rodriguez
Vice Director, Frente Gremialista por la Trasparencia (CAH)VIEW PROFILE
Nicolas Andres Eslava
Director, Afai Consulting BV and Advisor Fundacion Ava Jeva AmazoniaVIEW PROFILE