The Global Initiative Network
Marcos Alan Ferreira
Associate Professor, Federal University of Paraiba (Brazil)
Marcos Alan S. V. Ferreira is an Associate Professor in the Department of International Relations at Federal University of Paraiba – UFPB (João Pessoa, Brazil). He holds a Ph.D. in Political Science from Universidade Estadual de Campinas (Unicamp, Brazil – 2010) and was a Visiting Researcher at University of Manchester (UK, 2018 and 2019), at Uppsala University (Sweden, 2014) and at Universität Vechta (Germany, 2017).
His articles and reviews have been published in top journals, including the International Studies Perspectives, Trends in Organized Crime, Journal of Political Science Education, Latin American Politics and Society, and Journal of Human Security. He is editor of “Peace and Violence in Brazil”(Palgrave MacMillan, 2021).
Since 2010 he has been focusing his research on organized crime in Brazil and South America, especially the expansion of Brazilian criminal organizations and its governance capacities. Also, he is currently engaged on research on youth agency to overcome violence.
- Villa, R. D., de Macedo Braga, C., and Ferreira, M. A. (2021). “Violent Nonstate Actors and the Emergence of Hybrid Governance in South America”. Latin American Research Review, vol. 56, no. 1.
- Ferreira, M. A. (2021). “Governance by Violent Non-state Actors as a Challenge to Sustainable Peace in Brazil” In Decolonising Conflicts, Security, Peace, Gender, Environment and Development in the Anthropocene. Springer.
- Richmond, O.P. and Ferreira, M. A. (2021). “Blockages to Peace Formation in Latin America: The Role of Criminal Governance“.
- Ferreira, M. A. (2020). “Urban Violence and Crime“. The Palgrave Encyclopedia of Peace and Conflict Studies, 1-7.
- Sampó, C. and Ferreira, M. A. (2020). “From the fragmentation of criminal structures to a proto-mafia: an analysis of the Primeiro Comando da Capital (PCC) in South America“. Revista de Estudios en Seguridad Internacional, vol. 6, 101-115.
- Meneguetti, A.I and Ferreira, M. A. (2020). “Transnational Gangs in South America: the expansion of Primeiro Comando da Capital to Paraguay“. Urban Crime. An International Journal, vol. 1, 29-53.
- De Souza Framento , R. and Ferreira, M.A. (2020). “Transnational violent non-state actors in South America an examination of the cases of the First Capital Command and the Familia del Norte“. Revista Brasileira de Segurança Pública.
- Ferreira, M. A. (2019). “Brazilian criminal organizations as transnational violent non-state actors: a case study of the Primeiro Comando da Capital (PCC)“. Trends in Organized Crime 22, 148–165.
- Comprehensive list of former publications available here.
- Ferreira, M. A. (2020). “Jornadas Internacionales sobre Narcotráfico, Violencia y Crimen Organizado“. Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
Related expertsView all
Consultant, Open Society Initiative for West Africa
CEO/Technical Expert, Environmental Justice and Human Rights Organisation (JADE), Mexico
Multi-Media Editor, BBC World Service (London); Visiting Lecturer, University of Westminster (London) and Young Global Leader, World Economic Forum (Geneva)
Klaus von Lampe
Professor of Criminology, Berlin School of Economics and Law
Ambassador, Parliamentary Assembly of Mediterranean; Professor, French Military Academy
Investigations Adviser, Police Division of the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations
Tariq M. Khosa
Director, National Initiative against Organized Crime
Juan José Martínez d’Aubuisson
Head of Western Asia Programme, Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized Crime