THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Elizabeth Dávid Barrett
Director, Centre for the Study of Corruption, University of Sussex
Liz David-Barrett is Professor of Governance and Integrity and Director of the Centre for the Study of Corruption at the University of Sussex. She has more than 15 years’ experience of researching corruption and anti-corruption policies, with a particular interest in risks arising at the interface between government and business. Her research currently focuses on: (i) grand corruption in government contracting (public procurement); (ii) challenges faced by international business operating in high corruption-risk environments; (iii) business integrity clubs to combat corruption; and (iv) how to change global norms on corruption.
Liz engages widely with anti-corruption practitioners in governments, the private sector and NGOs. She advises the UK Department for International Development on its International Anti-Corruption programme and previously advised the UK Cabinet Office on the 2017-22 National Anti-Corruption Strategy; she works with civil society and regulators in a range of countries, including Jamaica, Ghana, Uganda and Tanzania to improve systems for identifying corruption in government contracting; and has written several policy reports for Transparency International, including on the Bribery Act, lobbying and the revolving door.
Liz joined the University of Sussex in 2014 but previously held posts at at the University of Oxford (Said Business School). Prior to returning to academia, she worked for London think tanks and as a journalist reporting from Zagreb and Budapest for The Economist, the Financial Times, the BBC World Service and Business Central Europe.
Liz has a DPhil and MSc from the University of Oxford (St Antony’s), an MA from the University of London (SSEES), and a BA from Oxford (Oriel).
- Dávid-Barrett, Elizabeth and Fazekas, Mihály (2019) Grand corruption and government change: an analysis of partisan favoritism in public procurement. European Journal on Criminal Policy and Research. ISSN 0928-1371
- Dávid-Barrett, Elizabeth (2019) Business unusual: collective action against bribery in international business. Crime, Law and Social Change, 71 (2). pp. 151-170. ISSN 0925-4994
- David-Barrett, Elizabeth, Yakis-Douglas, Basak, Moss-Cowan, Amanda and Nguyen, Yen (2017) A bitter pill? Institutional corruption and the challenge of antibribery compliance in the pharmaceutical sector. Journal of Management Inquiry, 26 (3). pp. 326-347. ISSN 1056-4926
- David-Barrett, Elizabeth and Okamura, Ken (2016) Norm diffusion and reputation: the rise of the extractive industries transparency initiative. Governance, 29 (2). pp. 227-246. ISSN 0952-1895
- Philp, Mark and David-Barrett, Elizabeth (2015) Realism about political corruption. Annual Review of Political Science, 18. pp. 387-402. ISSN 1094-2939
- Dávid-Barrett, Elizabeth (2015) Nolan’s legacy: regulating parliamentary conduct in democratising Europe. Parliamentary Affairs, 68 (3). pp. 514-532. ISSN 0031-2290
- David-Barrett, Elizabeth (2014) Are some bribes more harmful than others? Exploring the ethics behind anti-bribery laws. Journal of Interdisciplinary Economics, 26 (1-2). pp. 119-144. ISSN 0260-1079