Posted on 01 Jun 2017
By Jérôme Tubiana and Claudio Gramizzi
This paper looks at the recent history of the Tibesti region in Chad and the Teda (or ‘Tubu’) people who inhabit the area. More specifically, the authors examine:
- the social-political environment in Tibesti over the last few decades;
- the last rebellion involving the Teda people, that of the Mouvement pour la démocratie et la justice au Tchad (MDJT);
- the redeployment of state authority following the end of the insurrection in 2011;
- the repercussions of recent gold rushes in Tibesti; and
- the consequences of the fall of the Qaddafi regime in neighboring Libya for regional security.