Posted on 16 Oct 2017
11 Oct 2017 – Panel 1:
Smuggling of migrants, trafficking in persons and contemporary forms of slavery Smuggling of migrants, trafficking in persons and contemporary forms of slavery, including appropriate identification, protection and assistance to migrants and trafficking victims.
Suggested topics to be addressed:
• What are the challenges and opportunities of a framework seeking to both combat the smuggling of migrants and protect the rights of smuggled migrants?
• How can national and cross-border coordination and cooperation be strengthened, including between State and non-State actors, to combat trafficking in persons and target the criminal networks involved
• What could be some initiatives to address exploitative labour practices within supply chains, or consumer – based action against products or services resulting from trafficked labour?
· Ms. Claire Falconer, Legal Director, Focus on Labour Exploitation
· Ms. Kate Sheill, International Advocacy Officer, Global Alliance Against Trafficking in Women
· Ms. Tuesday Reitano, Deputy Director, Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized Crime
Moderator: Mr. Ilias Chatzis, Chief of Human Trafficking and Migrant Smuggling Section of United Nations Office on Drugs & Crime
Interactive discussion with interventions from the floor