THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Meet the Experts
Ernesto U. Savona is Director of TRANSCRIME, Joint Research Centre of the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore and the Università degli Studi di Trento and since 2003 professor of Criminology at the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore in Milan. From 1986 to 2002 he was professor of Criminology at the Faculty of Law at the Università degli Studi di Trento. In 2003 he was appointed Editor in Chief of the European Journal on Criminal Policy and Research, an international refereed Journal published by Springer. He is also Editor in chief of the series Research in Brief in International and Comparative Criminology published by Springer.
He has been consultant to the United Nations, Council of Europe, the European Union and various national governments. He was also nominated President of the European Society of Criminology for the years 2003/2004. In June 2011 he was appointed Chair for the term 2011-2012 of the Global Agenda Council on Organized Crime del World Economic Forum. He is today member of the EU Commission experts group on ‘Policy needs for data on crime & criminal justice and of the expert group on Firearms”. He is part of the Academic Board of the SOCTA report (Europol).
He has been coordinating many international projects financed by local, national and international entities. Furthermore, he takes part as speaker in many conferences and seminars at national and international level. He has published extensively on organized/economic crime, corruption, money laundering, mafias and prevention policies against organized crime, illicit markets. His last research interests are in finding indicators for the measurement of organized crime and its illicit activities in Europe and for the measurement of illicit markets.From 2016 to 2019 he will be the coordinator of the project PROTON (Modelling the PRocesses leading to Organised crime and TerrOrist Networks) awarded in January 2016 to Universita’ Cattolica-Transcrime under the EU Horizon 2020 programme.
- con S. Caneppele e L. Mezzanotte, Bullismo, Vita e Pensiero, Milano, 2010;
- con A. Di Nicola e B. Vettori, Gli infortuni sul lavoro, FrancoAngeli,Milano 2008;
- (edited by) Measuring Human Trafficking (with S. Stefanizzi), Springer, Dordrecht, 2006;
- (edited by) Crime and Technology, Springer, Dordrecht, 2004;
- “Initial Methodology For The Crime Proofing Of New Or Amended Legislation/Regulation at EU Level”, in European Journal on Criminal Policy and Research vol. 12, issues 3-4, 2006;
- “Developing The Crime Risk Assessment Mechanism” (with S. Martocchia), in European Journal on Criminal Policy and Research, vol. 12, issues 3-4, 2006;
- “Finalising The Crime Risk Assessment Mechanism to the Crime Proofing Activities of European Legislation/Regulation”, in European Journal on Criminal Policy and Research, vol. 12, issues 3-4, 26.
- I beni sequestrati e confiscati alle organizzazioni criminali nelle regioni dell’Obiettivo Convergenzlle strategie di investimento della criminalità all’impiego di fondi comunitari nei riutilizzo dei beni già destinati (Gennaio 2012 – in corso) , finanziato dal Ministero dell’Interno PON sicurezza 2007-2013 (coordinatore);
- The fight against trafficking in human beings in EU: promoting legal cooperation and victims’ protection (Novembre 2011 – in corso), awarded by the European Commission (partner);
- Assessment of the challenges regarding organized crime in Latin America and proposal on how to measure and how to use statistical data to measure organized crime in the region(Ottobre 2011 – in corso), awarded by UNODC (Centre of Excellence for Statistics on Governance, Public Security, Victimization and Justice in Mexico) and INEGI (Instituto, National de Estatistica y Geografia), MEXICO (coordinatore);
- EU Survey to assess the level and impact of crimes against business – Phase 2: Piloting the survey module (Settembre 2011 – in corso), awarded by the European Commission, DG JLS (partner);
- BOWNET – Identifying the Beneficial OWner of legal entities in the fight against money laundering NETwork (Marzo 2011 – in corso), awarded by European Commission (coordinatore);
- FAKES – Fighting Against brand counterfeiting in three Key European member states. Towards a more comprehensive strategy (Agosto 2009 – Agosto 2011), awarded by European Commission (coordinatore);
- CARDS – Development of monitoring instruments for judicial and law enforcement institutions in the Western Balkans (Febbraio 2009 -Luglio 2011), awarded by European Commission (coordinatore);
- EU Survey to assess the level and impact of crimes against business – Phase 1: Requirements gathering, awarded in 2008 by the European Commission, DG JLS (coordinatore);
- Mainstreaming Methodology for the Estimation of the Costs of Crime (January 2007-December 2008), awarde in 2006 by the DG Research, European Commission, under the EU VI Framework Programme for Research and Technological Development (partner);
- L’implementazione dell’analisi criminale (Settembre 2007-2008), finanziato dal Ministero dell’Interno PON sicurezza 2002-2006 (coordinatore);
- Cost Benefit Analysis of Transparency Requirements in the Company/Corporate Field and Banking Sector relevant for the fight against Money Laundering and other Financial Crime(September 2006 – February 2007), awarded by the European Commission (coordinator);
- MAVUS II – Method for and Assessment of the Vulnerability of legal Sectors (December 2005 – December 2006), awarded by the European Commission under Programme AGIS 2005 (partner);
- Politiche criminali e non contro la criminalità organizzata PRIN 2005 (Ministero dell’Istruzione (coordinatore);
- Study to assess the scope of and collect available statistics and meta-data on five crime types and propose harmonised definitions and collection procedures for these types of crime for the EU Member States and the acceding countries (December 2005 – August 2006), awarded by the European Commission (coordinatore).
Professor of Criminology, University of Jos, NigeriaVIEW PROFILE
Giuliano “Zack” Zaccardelli
Director, Strategic Planning, INTERPOL (retired)VIEW PROFILE
Founder and Executive Director, Wildlife Protection Society of IndiaVIEW PROFILE
Ruth Freedom Pojman
Senior Advisor, OSCE Office of the Special Representative and Co-ordinator for Combating Trafficking in Human BeingsVIEW PROFILE
Programme Director, VeritéVIEW PROFILE
Agile Security PartnersVIEW PROFILE