THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Vusumzi (Vusi) Pikoli
African Board member and Senior Advisor, Global Initiative against Transnational Organized Crime
Vusi Pikoli worked in the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Department of the ANC in Lusaka, Zambia. In 1994 was appointed as a Special Advisor to the late Advocate Dullah Omar who was the first Minister of Justice post-apartheid. He later became a Deputy-Director General in the Department of Justice. In 1999 Vusi was appointed as Director- General of the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development, a position he held until 2005 when he was appointed as the National Director of Public Prosecutions and Head of the National Prosecuting Authority.
In 2010 was a director of forensic investigations at Gobodo Inc. (Audit and Advisory), Gobodo later merged with Sizwe Ntsaluba ( Audit and Advisory) to become SizweNtsalubaGobodo(SNG) which became the largest black audit and advisory firm and the fifth largest in South Africa. He was a Commissioner in the Khayelitsha Commission of Enquiry into the Police Inefficiency and a breakdown of Relations between the police and the community in Khayelitsha, Cape Town. He later served as the first Provincial Police Ombudsman in the Western Cape investigating community complaints against the police that relate to police inefficiencies and a breakdown in relations between the police and the residents of the Western Cape.
Vusi also served as a special advisor to the Minister of State Security before his current position of Chief Legal, Risk and Compliance Officer at South African Airways ( SAA).
HIGHLIGHTS OF HIS PROFESSIONAL CAREER
- Being a UN National Correspondent on Crime Prevention and Treatment of Offenders 1995 to 2000.
- Deputy chairperson of the Justice, Crime Prevention and Security Cluster of Directors General.
- Having been a trustee of the Constitutional Court of South Africa.
- Having been a member of the Magistrates Commission.
- Founding director of the European Foundation for Human Rights (now Foundation for Human Rights).
- Founding executive of the International Association of Anti-Corruption Authorities ( IAACA).
- A recipient of the International Association of Prosecutors award for protecting prosecutorial independence.
- Co-authored his first book with Mandy Wiener,” My second initiation” providing an insider’s perspective on some of South Africa’s key corruption cases showing how he grappled with the dilemma of having to prosecute friends and comrades and navigating through repeated attempts at political interference.
- Initiating a criminal investigation and prosecution of a National Commissioner of Police that led to his conviction on fraud and a 15 year sentence.
- Appointed as an Adjunct Professor at the Nelson Mandela School of Public Governance, University of Cape Town.
Wietse van der Werf
Founder and International Director, The Black Fish FoundationVIEW PROFILE
Luiz de Paiva
Co-founder, Centre for the Study of Liberty and AuthoritarianismVIEW PROFILE
Colin P. Clarke
Carnegie Mellon UniversityVIEW PROFILE
Postdoctoral Scholar, Center for US-Mexican Studies / University of California San DiegoVIEW PROFILE
Om Prakash Mishra
Joint Commissioner of Police, Economic Offences Wing of New Delhi PoliceVIEW PROFILE
Global Chief Public Safety Scientist, Huawei TechnologiesVIEW PROFILE