THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Executive Director, TRAFFIC
Steven Broad is Executive Director of TRAFFIC, the leading specialist organisation working globally on trade in wild animals and plants in the context of both biodiversity conservation and sustainable development (www.traffic.org). He has three decades of diverse experience in wildlife trade research, investigations, CITES implementation and regulation support, policy influence and facilitation. Current interests include: application of social science approaches to behaviour change; economics of commodity substitution; inter-play between legal and illegal wildlife trade value chains; and technology innovation for trade traceability and regulation support. Steven has a BSc in Environmental Studies and is a member of the IUCN Species Survival Commission, a Fellow of WWF UK and member of the Executive Board of the FairWild Foundation. He was a member of the Global Agenda Council on Organised Crime and Illicit Trade of the World Economic Forum, and participates in the OECD Task Force on Charting Illicit Trade. He has also served as an advisor to the Pew Marine Fellowship Program and the Whitley Awards for Nature Conservation.
- Broad, S. 2013 Editorial, TRAFFIC Bulletin Vol 25(1): 1.
- Broad, S. and Burgess, G. 2016. Synthetic biology, product substitution and the battle against illegal wildlife trade. TRAFFIC Bulletin Vol 28(1): 22-28.
- Broad, S. and Damania, R. 2009. Competing demands: Understanding and addressing the socio-economic forces that work for and against tiger conservation. Background Paper for the Kathmandu Global Tiger Workshop. October 2009. World Bank, Washington DC.
- Broad, S., Mulliken, T. and Roe, D. 2003. The nature and extent of legal and illegal trade in wildlife. Pages 3–22 in S.Oldfield, editor.The trade in wildlife: regulation for conservation. Earthscan, London.
- Sutherland,W.J., et. al., 2009. One hundred questions of importance to the conservation of global biological diversity. Conservation Biology 23,557–567.
Senior Fellow, Foreign Policy, Brookings InstitutionVIEW PROFILE
Law Enforcement and Organized Crime ConsultantVIEW PROFILE
Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice ConsultantVIEW PROFILE
Professor, The Australian National UniversityVIEW PROFILE
Founder and Executive Director, Wildlife Protection Society of IndiaVIEW PROFILE
Campaigns Director, Environmental Investigation AgencyVIEW PROFILE