THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Om Prakash Mishra
Joint Commissioner of Police, Economic Offences Wing of New Delhi Police
A Ph.D in Sociology from Jawahar Lal Nehru University , New Delhi, Dr O P Mishra is an Indian Police Service(IPS) Officer.
In his more than twenty seven years active service, Dr. Mishra has distinguished himself as an ace investigator, effective and tactful law and order handler with operational expertise and professional acumen in planning and executing major security arrangements. He is known for his community policing initiatives. The documentary for “Neighbourhood Watch Scheme” made by the officer in the wake of series of serious crimes in one of the posh localities of Delhi was very much appreciated by the public and the authorities. The officer is credited with solving several high profile and sensational cases highlighted by the electronic and print media as District Commanders of Sensitive Districts in Delhi. He played a very instrumental role in ISO certification of the Licensing Unit of Delhi Police.
Dr. Mishra has been the Venue Commander of major event security arrangements like Commonwealth Games, 2010, 14th SAARC Summit held in New Delhi and visit of various Head of the States. Apart from contributing in policing, the officer has also excelled in academics. His book Policing Delhi: Urbanization, Crime and Law Enforcement, published by Oxford University Press, is an important contribution in understanding the sociology of crime in a metropolitan city like Delhi.
He has written for the Indian Police Journal and contributed to different course programme of the Indira Gandhi National Open University and presented papers in various national and international conferences. As Communications Logistics Officer in the United Nations Mission in Kosovo (Dec 2000- Mar 2002), Dr. Mishra contributed significantly. He is a recipient of Presidents Special Police Duty Medal and the President’s Police Medal for Meritorious Services.
He was awarded President Police Medal for Distinguished Services on the eve of Indian Independence Day 15th August 2018 by the President of India.
- Policing Delhi : Urbanization, Crime and Law Enforcement (2011) Oxford University Press.
- Basic Principles of VIP Security (Ed Book)- Published by Police Training College, Delhi) – (Recommended as resource book for all training institutes in the country by BPR&D.),
- Watch Out: A Hand Book for Safe Living: (March, 2013): Niyogi Books, Delhi. (Translated in four Regional Languages of India, Konkani, Hindi and Punjabi).
- Turning a New Leaf: Redefining Prison Administration and Management: 2018: A Coffee table book on various reforms initiated in Model Jail, Chandigarh.
- Atam Hatya – Published in ‘Police Vigyan’, a BPR&D journal. (Oct. 1998).
- “Ekisswi Sahasrabdi Mein Police Ka Swarup Kaisa Ho” (Form of Police in 21st Century), Police Vigyan, Issue-69, October – December 1999 – BPR&D journal).
- Unit on Dowry – for Women’s movement and legal change – published in WED-02, Block-4 by IGNOU.
- Unit on “Rape”- for Women’s movement and legal change- published in WED-02, Block-4 by IGNOU.
- Role of Police in Disaster Management”- (Ed, Book- Disaster Mitigation Expenses: Prentice Hall 2000).
- Courier Bag Robbers”- Article published in the Indian Police Journal (BPR&D) Vol. No.4 October/December, 2003.
- A World within –A sociological Study of Red Light Area G.B.Road- Delhi”. Article published in the Indian Police Journal (BPR&D journal Vol. LI No. 1, January-March 2004.)
- Policing in 21st Century- Area for concern. The Indian Police Journal, Vol. (L-III) No.1, January –March 2006.)
- Rescue and Rehabilitation of Sex Workers : Case Study Of Delhi published in (Ed) book: Interrogating Social Development : Initiatives and Perspectives By Prof. Debal Singh Roy, Manohar Publications:2010
- Law Enforcement and Administration of Justice: Chapter contributed in an edited book Governance: Issues and Challenges, (SAGE Publications) 2016.
- It All Starts with You: in BW Smart Cities World Magzine : July-August, 2015.
- Behaviour and Response: Critical Issues in Policing: April-June, 2015, Indian Police Journal, Published by BPR&D. Selected as Best Strategy Issue Paper in Mid Career Training Programme, Phase III organized by National Police academy, Hyderabad.
- Safety of Cities: Urban Update, Vol-III, Issue-IV April 2016.
Michael Stuart Kelsey
Commander, Australian Federal PoliceVIEW PROFILE
Visiting Fellow at King’s College LondonVIEW PROFILE
Wesley W. Posvar Professor and Director of the Matthew B. Ridgway Center for International Security Studies at the University of PittsburghVIEW PROFILE