THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Meet the Experts
Charles Sturt University – Australia
Dr Nicholas Gilmour is a former police officer and international policing expert. Nicholas has worked as an advisor to the UK and Abu Dhabi Governments in relation to cross border criminal investigations, extradition, money laundering and organised crime. Nicholas has experience as an analyst – through to manager of analytical services within a national intelligence centre as well as experience in developing national implementation programmes and strategies to improve national and local police force planning and resilience across a number of key areas.
As part of his work with the UK Home Office, Nicholas was identified as an SME on extradition and cross border liaison. His work and research provided sufficient evidence to support the authoring of several key practice documents and a book chapter on International Liaison Officers. In support of practical experiences, Nicholas has a Doctorate in Criminal Justice. His research focused on the prevention of money laundering through the adoption of situational crime prevention theory. Two key money laundering practices were identified and studied: money laundering through cash intensive businesses and money laundering through the purchasing of high value portable commodities.
Following his work alongside and then within the New Zealand Financial Intelligence Unit where he authored and completed internal reports and policy on the prevention of money laundering – Nicholas moved across to the private sector to work as an independent consultant. The work completed in the New Zealand FIU on Phase 2 improvements under the Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism Act 2009 provided a timely transition for Nicholas to the private sector, enabling first-hand knowledge and understanding support Nicholas’ commitment to improving understanding of organised crime, money laundering and terrorist financing.
- Gilmour. N (2017) Blindingly obvious and frequently exploitable – money laundering through the purchasing of high value portable commodities. Journal of Money Laundering Control (Emerald) Vol 24. Iss 2.
- Gilmour. N, Dilloway, S & Hicks, T (2017) Examining the practical viability of internationally recognised standards in preventing the movement of money for the purposes of terrorism – a crime script approach. Co-author. Journal Financial Crime (Emerald) Vol 24. Iss2.
- Gilmour. N (2016) Preventing money laundering: a test of situational crime prevention theory. Journal of Money Laundering Control (Emerald) Vol 19, Iss 4.
- Richardson. S & Gilmour. N (2015) Cyber Crime and National Security – A New Zealand Perspective. European Review of Organized Crime (EROC).
- Gilmour. N (2015) Everyday vulnerabilities – money laundering through cash intensive businesses. Journal of money laundering control (Emerald) Vol 18, Iss 3.
- Gilmour. N (2015) Understanding the practices behind money laundering – a rational choice interpretation. International Journal of Law, Crime and Justice.
- Gilmour. N (2015) Understanding Money Laundering – A crime script approach. European Review of Organized Crime (EROC).
- Richardson. S & Gilmour. N (2016) Intelligence and Security Oversight Subtitle: An Annotated Bibliography and Comparative Analysis By: Sophie Richardson and Dr Nicholas Gilmour. Palgrave: Pivot Title.
- Gilmour. N (2016) ‘Understanding organised crime: A rationalised and modern perspective for law enforcement’ in Security and Risk Management: Critical Reflections and International Perspectives Vol 1. Ed. By Matthieu Petrigh
- Gilmour. N (2013) Carefully managing expectations – The role of the ‘Force International Liaison Officer’ within British policing – in Liaison Officers: Essential Actors in Transnational Policing. Ed by Monica den Boer and Ludo Block.
Senior Fellow, Global Initiative against Transnational Organized CrimeVIEW PROFILE
Om Prakash Mishra
Deputy Inspector General of Police, Indian Police ServiceVIEW PROFILE
Senior Financial Crime and Money Laundering Special Investigator and AML Policy Expert, Hellenic Anti-Money Laundering Authority and Hellenic Gaming CommissionVIEW PROFILE
Assistant Professor, John Jay College of Criminal Justice (CUNY)VIEW PROFILE
Lecturer, Macquarie UniversityVIEW PROFILE
Deputy Executive Director, Centre for Humanitarian DialogueVIEW PROFILE