THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Research Manager at the North Africa and Sahel Observatory, Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized Crime
Matt is a Senior Analyst with the Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized Crime. He is a specialist in fragility and stabilization, with a focus on security sector reform and governance, border security, transnational organized crime, and irregular migration.
He has worked on security sector reform, irregular migration, and organized crime issues in North and West Africa, consulted on security, development, and public health issues in East Africa, worked on transnational organized crime for the state of New Mexico, and served as a policy aide to New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson.
He has authored a number of articles and reports on transnational organized crime, irregular migration, border security, and insurgency with organizations such as the Institute for Security Studies, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung, Atlantic Council, Washington Post, and U.S. Institute of Peace
Matt holds a PhD in International Relations from The Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy, Tufts University, with a sub-specialization in security studies and law & development. He has a Masters in Law and Diplomacy from the same institution, and a joint Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Fine Arts from The College of Santa Fe.
Selected Articles and Assessments
- A Rising Tide: Trends in the Production, Trafficking, and Consumption of Drugs in North Africa, Global Initiative, June 2020
- “Just Across the Sea: The Changing Politics of Irregular Migration from and through Morocco and Tunisia,” in Mediterranean Challenge: What pushes people from Africa northwards, Edited by Stefano Torelli, Reset Dialogues on Civilizations (November 2019).
- “‘La Mal Vie’: The Routes, Drivers, and Politics of North African Irregular Migration,” Institute for Security Studies (May 2019).
- “Less than the sum of its parts: Europe’s fixation with Libyan border security,” Institute for Security Studies (May 2019).
- “States and Smugglers: The Ties that Bind and How they Fray,” in Transnational Organized Crime and Political Actors in the Maghreb and Sahel, Mediterranean Dialogue Series no. 17, Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (January 2019).
- “The Insurgency in Tunisia’s Western Borderlands,” Carnegie Endowment for International Peace (June 2018)
- “At the Edge: Trends and Routes of North African Clandestine Migrants,” Institute for Security Studies and the Global Initiative against Transnational Organised Crime (November 2016)
- “Border Security Challenges in the Grand Maghreb,” Peaceworks Report 109, U.S. Institute of Peace, Co-Authored with Dr. Querine Hanlon (May 2015)
- “Partisans, Profiteers, and Criminals: Syria’s Illicit Economy,” The Fletcher Forum of World Affairs, Vol. 38:1 (Winter 2014)
- “Maghrebi irregular migration is down but for how long?” ISS Today, Institute for Security Studies (November 2019).
- “Libya’s war becomes a tech battleground,” ISS Today, Institute for Security Studies (October 2019).
- “Social media bridges North Africa’s divides to facilitate migration,” ISS Today, Institute for Security Studies. Co-authored with Amine Ghoulidi (March 2019).
- “Algeria’s protests and migration: the fearmongers have it wrong,” ISS Today, Institute for Security Studies. Co-authored with Sofian Philip Naceur (March 2019).
- “The Butcher’s Bill: Cocaine Trafficking in North Africa,” The Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized Crime (September 2018).
- “The Risks of Hardened Borders in North Africa,” Sada, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. Co-authored with Max Gallien (August 2018)
- “Better Policing Can Help Combat Human Trafficking,” ISS Today, Institute for Security Studies (August 2018)
- “Out of the Streets and Into the Boats: Tunisia’s Irregular Migration Surge,” MENASource, The Atlantic Council. Co-Authored with Max Gallien (November 2017)
- “Italy claims it’s found a solution to Europe’s migrant problem. Here’s why Italy’s wrong,” The Monkey Cage, Washington Post. Co-Authored with Jalel Harchaoui (September 2017)
Matt's Recent Publications
PhD, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic DiversityVIEW PROFILE
Senior Analyst, Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized CrimeVIEW PROFILE
Independent ConsultantVIEW PROFILE
High Commissioner of Botswana to ZimbabweVIEW PROFILE
Klaus von Lampe
Professor of Criminology, Berlin School of Economics and LawVIEW PROFILE
Researcher, Belgrade Centre for Security PolicyVIEW PROFILE