THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Meet the Experts
Senior Coordinator for Reports and Political Affairs, U.S. Department of State's Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons
Kyle M. Ballard is the Senior Coordinator for Reports and Political Affairs in the U.S. Department of State’s Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons (J/TIP), responsible for the production of the annual Trafficking in Persons Report and the U.S. Government’s bilateral diplomatic efforts to address modern slavery worldwide.
Prior to J/TIP, Kyle was the Strategic Planner at the U.S. Department of Defense’s Defense Security Cooperation Agency, which is responsible for the execution of U.S. security cooperation programs ranging from defense institution building to the annual transfer of more than $40 billion in defense equipment and service. Kyle led a team in the Department of State’s Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor focused on sectarian tensions and religious freedom in the Middle East and North Africa, and for developing rights-based approaches to combating violent extremism.
Before that, he countered conventional weapons proliferation in the Bureau of Political Military Affairs, where he engaged in end-use monitoring of U.S. defense exports and partnered with various government agencies and international organizations to investigate front companies and criminal networks.
Kyle was a graduate research assistant at the Monterrey Terrorism Research and Education Program (MonTREP) and the Center for Nonproliferation Studies, and has also held positions in NGOs, the private sector, and at the United Nations focused on transitional crime, international security, and human rights. He is a graduate of Occidental College in Los Angeles, the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey, and George Mason University’s computational social science program.
- Global Human Trafficking Seen Through the Lens of Semantics and Text Analytics. Paper Presented/Panel Discussion. Association for Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T) Annual Meeting. Washington, DC. (27 October – 1 November 2017). w/ Denise Bedford.
- Zero, Some, or Zero-Sum: Exploring Challenges of Migration and Human Trafficking with Agent-based Models. Paper presented. Computational Modeling in the Social and Ecological Sciences (CoMSES) Net 2017. (October 2017).
- Modeling a Victim-Centered Approach for Detection of Human Trafficking Among Migrant Flows. In Journal for Policy and Complex Systems. Vol 3. No. 2. (Fall 2017). w/ Brant Horio
- Holy Mackerel! an Exploratory Agent-Based Model of Illicit Fishing and Forced Labor. In K.S.Xu, D. Reitter, D. Lee, and N. Osgood (Eds.) Social, Cultural and Behavioral Modeling (SBP-BRiMS), LNCS 9708, Springer International Publishing Switzerland (July 2016).
- From Philosophical Framework to Practicable Technology: Process Thought in International Affairs. 2nd Political Theory Colloquium. Center for Process Studies. Claremont, CA (26-28 February 2009).
- Doors of Perception: National Security Politics, Threat Perceptions, and North Korea’s Pursuit of a Credible Deterrent. Korean Journal of Defense Analysis. Volume 20:3, 231 — 246. (2008)
- Convention in Peril? Riot Control Agents and the Chemical Weapons Ban. Arms Control Today. Volume 37, No. 7. September 2007.
- An Historical Look into the Privatization of Military Affairs. Chapter in Thomas Jäger and Gerhard Kümmel eds. Private Military and Security Companies: Chances, Problems, Pitfalls and Prospects. VS Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften, Wiesbaden, Germany (2007)
Research Assistant, Global Initiative against Transnational Organized CrimeVIEW PROFILE
Om Prakash Mishra
Deputy Inspector General of Police, Indian Police ServiceVIEW PROFILE
John Stephen Morgan
Senior Director, Center for Forensic Sciences, RTI InternationalVIEW PROFILE
Secretary-General, The Swedish Anti-Corruption InstituteVIEW PROFILE
Director of Administration, Global Initiative against Transnational Organized CrimeVIEW PROFILE
Senior Analyst, Global Initiative against Transnational Organized CrimeVIEW PROFILE