THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Meet the Experts
Juliana Machado Ferreira
Executive Director, Freeland Brasil
Dr Juliana Machado Ferreira is the Executive Director of the organization Freeland Brasil, the south American branch of Freeland Foundation, an internationally respected counter wildlife and human trafficking organization. Freeland works with governments to protect vulnerable wildlife and people from organized crime and corruption.
Freeland Brasil works using a three-pillar approach, which are inter-related and interdependent:
- Education and Awareness to reduce demand for wildlife and parts and products;
- Scientific research and capacity building to support law enforcement and
- Public policy and international articulation to institutionalize the combat agains wildlife trafficking.
Dr Ferreira’s background is in Science. As a white-lab-coat researcher, she completed her Ph.D in Genetics in 2012 (Universidade de Sao Paulo) with the dissertation “Contribution of Population Genetics to the Investigation Efforts on Wildlife Trafficking in Brazil: Development of Microsatellites and Analysis of the Genetic Structure of Paroaria dominicana and Saltator simiis (Aves: Passeriformes: Thraupidae)”. Her main goal in this area is to produce high quality scientific data which can be used in issues involving wildlife trafficking, its prevention and mitigation of its impacts. Her greatest scientific interest is the use of Forensic Science in the prosecution of wildlife related cases, and this is why she has gone to the US Fish and Wildlife Service National Forensics Laboratory to learn about Wildlife Forensics, first as a volunteer and later as a visiting scientist, to develop research in collaboration, between 2005 and 2013.
Before creating Freeland Brasil, Dr Ferreira has volunteered (2007-2014) for the organization SOS Fauna. With the organization, she joined the police in raids intended to seize illegally traded wild animals, in which her colleagues and her helped officers on the ground to identify the species of illegally owned or traded animals (for example, hybrids are allowed to be kept and bred, while wild species and threatened wild species have higher levels of protection). The team also provided necessary care to the animals in the post-seizure period to decrease death rate and enhance their chances of being rehabilitated and even reintegrated to nature. With SOS Fauna Dr Ferreira also took part in the rehabilitation and responsible releases of rehabilitated animals back in the wild.
Lastly, because of the unique and pioneer character of her Ph.D research in Brazil, which united field work, on-the-ground work with the Police, and genetics laboratory work to analyze issues involved in wildlife trafficking, and due to her ideas on how to combat wildlife trafficking in different fronts in South America, Dr Ferreira was nominated a 2009 TED Fellow, TED Senior Fellow 2010-2012 and gave a talk on the 2010 TED Conference which was posted on TED.com (please refer to her videos on the top right corner). She was also laureate a 2014 National Geographic Emerging Explorer and received the 2016 Courage Award for women in Science and Exploration by the organization Wings WordQuest.
- Costa, FJV; Ferreira, JM; Monteiro, KRG; Mayrink, RR – Orgs. 2017. Ciência contra o tráfico: Avanços no Combate ao Comércio Ilegal de Animais Silvestres. João Pessoa: IMPRELL. 250 p. ISBN: 978-85-8332-068-5
- Ferreira, JM & Costa, FJV. 2017. Apresentação. Ciência contra o tráfico: Avanços no Combate ao Comércio Ilegal de Animais Silvestres (Costa, FJV; Ferreira, JM; Monteiro, KRG; Mayrink, RR – Orgs.). João Pessoa: IMPRELL. p:7-16. ISBN: 978-85-8332-068-5
- Costa, FJV & Ferreira, JM. 2017. Fortalecendo Parcerias a Favor da Biodiversidade. Ciência contra o tráfico: Avanços no Combate ao Comércio Ilegal de Animais Silvestres (Costa, FJV; Ferreira, JM; Monteiro, KRG; Mayrink, RR – Orgs.). João Pessoa: IMPRELL. p:17-22. ISBN: 978-85-8332-068-5
- Ferreira, JM & Morgante, JS. 2017. Possibilidade de Inferência da Origem e Destino de Animais Silvestres por Meio da Biologia Molecular. Ciência contra o tráfico: Avanços no Combate ao Comércio Ilegal de Animais Silvestres (Costa, FJV; Ferreira, JM; Monteiro, KRG; Mayrink, RR – Orgs.). João Pessoa: IMPRELL. p:109-140. ISBN: 978-85-8332-068-5
- Ferreira, JM; Curtis, MB; Schunck, F; Rocha, M; Miyaki, CY; Silveira, LF; Melo, M & Morgante, JS. 2015. Development of novel polymorphic microsatellite markers for four bird species exploited by the illegal wildlife trade in Brazil. Conservation Genetics Resources, 7 (2): 435-436. doi:10. 1007/ s12686-014-0389-z.
Hennie van Vuuren
Director, Open SecretsVIEW PROFILE
Senior Investigation Specialist, Basel Institute on GovernanceVIEW PROFILE
Matt S. Friedman
Chief Executive Officer, The Mekong ClubVIEW PROFILE
Assistant Professor of Latin American History, Loyola University ChicagoVIEW PROFILE
Anton du Plessis
Managing Director, Institute for Security StudiesVIEW PROFILE
Office Director, Anti-Crime Program Office, Bureau for International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs, U.S. Department of StateVIEW PROFILE