THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Director, Kosovar Centre for Security Studies
Dr. Florian Qehaja is the Executive Director of Kosovar Centre for Security Studies (KCSS) and one of the co-founders of KCSS. Florian is author of several scientific and policy publications in the security field. He serves as an international consultant on security issues cooperating with leading international governmental and non-governmental organisations. He is coordinating the bilateral support of the Norwegian Ministry of Defence in the Ministry of Kosovo Security Force. He is non-resident advisor on CVE to the Director of Peacebuilding and Human Rights Programme of Columbia University. Florian Qehaja has a post-doc from Columbia University (SIPA) as a Fulbright Scholar He is a doctor of science on security studies from the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Ljubljana. His PhD topic was “Security Sector Development and the Problem of Local Ownership: Case of Kosovo”. Moreover, he has graduated at the University of Sussex (United Kingdom) in Contemporary European Studies (MA) as an OSI/Chevening grantee whereas, he obtained Bachelor’s Degree in Law at the University of Prishtina. His recent book is “International or Local Ownership? Security Sector Development in Post-Independent Kosovo” published by Westphalia Press (2017).
Peer reviewed publications
- Qehaja, Florian. 2018 (Forthcoming). Local Inclusion or Exclusion? Security Sector Development in Kosovo in Musliu Vjosa and Gezim Visoka. Can the local speak? Voices from the subjects of international intervention. Routledge.
- Qehaja Florian and Armend Bekaj. 2018. The police profession in Kosovo: caught in the quagmire betweeen politics and regional security community in Sonja Stojanovic Gajic and Filip Ejdus. Security Community Practicies in the Western Balkans. Routledge. London. (Cited by 2)
- Qehaja, Florian. 2017. International or local ownership? Security Sector Development in Post-Independent Kosovo. Westphalia Press. Washington DC. (Cited by 1)
- Qehaja Florian and Iztok Prezelj. (2017). Issues of local ownership in Kosovo’s security sector. p.1-17. Journal of South East European and Black Sea Studies. (Cited by 6)
- Qehaja, Florian. 2016. Beyond Gornje Maoče and Ošve: Radicalization in the Western Balkans. in Varvelli Arturo. Jihadists Hotbeds: Understanding Local Radicalization Processes. (Cited by 2)
- Blease Dennis and Florian Qehaja. 2013. The conundrum of local ownershipin developing a security sector: the case of Kosovo. Journal of New Balkan Politics. Issue 14. (Cited by 7)
- Qehaja, Florian. 2012. Fostering a democratic intelligence agency – lessons from Kosovo. Wills. Aidan and Hans Born. Strengthening intelligence oversight in the Western Balkans. Geneva. DCAF. (Cited by 2)
- Qehaja, Ramadan. Kosum Kosumi, Florian Qehaja and Armend Bekaj. 2012. Demobilising and Integrating a Liberation Army in the Context of State Formation: Kosovo’s Perspective on Security. Dudouet, Veronique. Hans J. Giessman and Katrin Planta. Post-War Security Transitions: Participatory Peacebuilding After Asymmetric Conflicts. Berlin. Routledge. (Cited by 14)
- Qehaja, Florian. 2009. Measuring the development of Private Security in Kosovo. p. 279 – 287. Panorama. Bratislava. (Cited by 2)
- Qehaja, Florian. 2008. Critically evaluate the role of the security institutions in the Western Balkans since the beginning of 21st century. P. 138-144. Pro Minoritate journal (in Hungarian). Budapest.
Policy research publications
- Qehaja Florian and Skender Perteshi. 2018. The unexpelored nexus: Issues of radicalisation and violent extremism in Macedonia. KCSS.
- Petrovic Predrag and Florian Qehaja. 2017. Violent extremism: beyond foreign fighters and numbers in Sabina Lange, Zoran Nechev and Florian Trauner. Resilience in the Western Balkans. EU Institute for Security Studies.
- Qehaja Florian, Skender Perteshi and Mentor Vrajolli. 2017. Mapping the state of play of institutional and community involvement in countering violent extremism in Kosovo. KCSS and Finn Church Aid.
- Qehaja, Florian. 2014. Kosovo-EU Relations: the Status-Neutral Dilemma. Felbrebauer Ernst and Predrag Jurekovic. Croatian Membership in the European Union: Implications for the Western Balkans
- Qehaja Florian and Mentor Vrajolli. 2013. Progress in the Europeanisation of the Security Sector in Albania, Kosovo and Macedonia – a comparative assessment (at) Progress in the Europeanisation of the Security Sector in Albania, Kosovo and Macedonia.
- Qehaja, Florian. 2013. Development Context of Strategic Security Sector Review in Kosovo – civil society perspective. Prishtina. KCSS.
- Qehaja, Florian and Mentor Vrajolli. 2012. Monitoring and Evaluating Good Governance in Kosovo’s Security Sector. Prishtina. KCSS.
- Qehaja, Florian and Mentor Vrajolli. 2012. Kosovo Chapter. Klopfer, Franziska and Sonja Stojanovic. Almanac of Security Sector Reform in the Western Balkans. Geneva. DCAF&BCSP.
- Muharremi, Robert. Florian Qehaja, Mentori Vrajolli and Skender Përteshi. 2010. Control Functions of Independent State Institutions in the Security Sector in Kosovo. Prishtina. KCSS.
- Qehaja, Florian. 2010. Kosovo. p. 81-95. Hadžić, Miroslav, Milorad Timotić and Predrag Petrović. Strategic Doctrinary Framework in the Security Sector in Kosovo. Security Policies in the Western Balkans. Belgrade. CCMR.
Communications ProfessionalVIEW PROFILE
Head of the Strategic Police Matters Unit/Transnational Threats Department, OSCE SecretariatVIEW PROFILE
Silvia Maria Tăbuşcă
Coordinator of the Human Security Program, European Center for Legal Education and ResearchVIEW PROFILE
Director, Prospector DOO BelgradeVIEW PROFILE
Senior Cyber Partner, DeloitteVIEW PROFILE
Assistant Professor, John Jay College of Criminal Justice (CUNY)VIEW PROFILE