THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Drew Garrett Engel
Drew Engel is an experienced programme manager, and litigator, and advisor in Criminal Law matters–with both prosecutorial and defense experience. He has 30+ years overall legal experience, including 15+ years of working internationally on complex criminal matters involving Corruption, Economic Crimes, Human Trafficking, Organized Crime and Terrorism/Terrorist Financing. His experience includes, uniquely, actually investigating and prosecuting cases in foreign courts (in Kosovo and Bosnia and Herzegovina), and running the Special Dept. for Organized Crime in the Prosecutor’s Office of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Additionally, he has helped to develop and build international LE/Intell/prosecutorial partners in order to secure cooperation and collaboration to combat Transnational Crime. He has also been responsible for training/lecturing at international conferences on a host of criminal law topics, and has authored a number of articles on criminal law topics. In addition to the above, he also possesses extensive experience in development of strategies, policies to fight crime and corruption, and has worked years in the fields of RoL Development, Democracy in Gov., and Capacity and Sustainable Efforts Development.
- Author, “Proof Beyond A Reasonable Doubt: What Does That Mean?”, Evidence (a Publication of ELSA, Montenegrin Chapter), December 2001.
- Author, “An Alternative Approach to Punishment”, presented to ELSA, Montenegrin Chapter, 2002.
- Author, “10 Steps To Help Ensure An Effective Voir Dire”, The Los Angeles Daily Law Journal, Section II, Verdicts & Settlements, January 13, 1995, p.1+.
- Author, “Some Tips For A Smoother Voir Dire,” California Bar Journal, February, 1995, p. 5.
- Author, “Science & The Law: What Court Experts Should Know”, Annual Journal of Court Experts, Becici, Montenegro, April 2001.
- Author, “The Insanity Defense: An American Perspective”, Annual Journal of Court Experts, Becici, Montenegro, May 2002.
- Author, “Organized Crime and Terrorism in the Balkans: Future Risks and Possible Solutions”, presented at the HumSec Conference, Ljubljana, Slovenia, November 2006; scheduled to be published by HumSec, 2007.
- Author, “Interactions of the IC, State Institutions, Civil Society, and Illegal Organizations and their Impacts upon Post-Conflict Capacity Building in the Justice System in Bosnia”, presented at the HumSec Conference, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, October, 2007; scheduled to be published by HumSec, 2007.
- Guest Contributor, “EUPM: A Crucial Ally in the Fight against Organized Crime”, published in the EUPM Magazine, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, March 2008.
- Author, “The Role of the Prosecutor in Pre-Trial Proceedings: A Bosnian Prosecutor’s Perspective,” presented at the Organized Crime Conference sponsored by the UNDP and Judicial Training Center of Montenegro, Podgorica, Montenegro, May 2008; scheduled to be published in the Journal of the Judicial Training Center of Montenegro, May 2008.
- Guest Contributor, “Battling for Fighting Ground: Who Benefits from International Prosecutors’ Withdrawal from BiH?”, EUPM Magazine, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, September 2009.
- Author, “A Practical Guide to Tackling Organized Crime and Corruption in the Balkans”, published online on Europe’s World website, Brussels, Belgium, December 2010.
- Author, “Information sharing is caring – and in everyone’s best interests”, published online on Europe’s World website, Brussels, Belgium, December 2011.
- Author, “Trafficking in Persons: Common Problems, and Some Common Sense Solutions,” posted online in the International Association of Prosecutors (IAP) website, TIPP (Trafficking in Persons Forum), September 2013, and published under the IAP’s TIPP Contributing Articles Section, October 2013.
- Author, “Beginning Success”, referencing some best practices for Kosovo authorities to employ, published online in the Alliance for Peacebuilding website, July 2015.
Omer L. and Nancy Hirst Endowed Chair Director, Terrorism, Transnational Crime and Corruption Center (TraCCC)/ University Professor, Schar School of Policy and Government, George Mason UniversityVIEW PROFILE
Strategic Communications Officer, NATOVIEW PROFILE
Chief Operating Officer, Pryon, Inc.VIEW PROFILE
Professor of Criminology and Criminal Law, National Research University Higher School of Economics, St. PetersburgVIEW PROFILE
Researcher, George Mason UniversityVIEW PROFILE
Senior Security Expert, OMV Petrom SAVIEW PROFILE