THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Professor of International Relations, Copenhagen University
Christian Bueger is Professor of International Relations at Copenhagen University, a Honorary Professor at the University of Seychelles, and a non-resident Research Fellow at the University of Stellenbosch. He is one of the editors of the European Journal of International Security (Cambridge UP) and the web portal for maritime security piracy-studies.org. He is the director of the SafeSeas initative.
In his research he studies responses to maritime crime in the Indo-Pacific, including maritime security strategy, maritime domain awareness and capacity building. he has been extensively studying piracy off the Coast of Somalia and worked in particular with the Contact Group on Piracy off the Coast of Somalia. In his current project he compares regional maritime security governance in the Western Indian Ocean, Southeast Asia and the Pacific.
Prof. Bueger holds a PhD from the European University Institute (2010) and has been a visiting fellow at the Centre for Advanced Security Theory, Copenhagen University (2013, 2014), the University College London (2015) and the National University of Singapore’s Centre for International Law (2015) and Asia Research Institute (2018).
- Pirates, Drugs and Navies. Why the Western Indian Ocean needs a new security architecture, RUSI Journal 161(5): 46-52, 2016 (co-authored with Jan Stockbruegger)
- What is Maritime Security?, Marine Policy 53, 159-164, 2015
- From Dusk to Dawn? Maritime Domain Awareness in Southeast Asia, Contemporary Southeast Asia 17(2), 157-182, 2015
- Learning from Piracy: Future Challenges of Maritime Security Governance, Global Affairs 1(1), 33-42, 2015
- Security Expertise: Practices, Power and Responsibility, London: Routledge PRIO New Security Studies Series, 2015, (co-edited with Trine Villumsen Berling).
- Communities of Security Practice at Work? The Emerging African Maritime Security Regime, African Security 6(3-4), 297-316, 2013
- Practice, Pirates and Coastguards: The Grand Narrative of Somali Piracy, Third World Quarterly 34(10), 1811-1827, 2013.