THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Research Associate for Conflict, Security and Development, the International Institute for Strategic Studies
Antônio examines post-conflict security and development challenges in urban centres of fragile countries. His research has focused on the effects of organised crime in the security landscape of large cities of the developing world, particularly those near conflict areas or recovering from it. Antônio has authored journal articles and book chapters and is currently working towards a book on a related topic. He has also conducted research on policy dilemmas involving the calibration of security, development and urbanistic tools to tackle high-intensity criminal violence in Latin American cities. Prior to joining the IISS in London, Antônio was an editor for Globo News TV, in Rio de Janeiro.
- Antonio Sampaio, ‘Before and after Urban Warfare: Conflict Prevention and Transitions in Cities’, International Review of the Red Cross 98 (1), 2016, pp. 71–95.
- Antonio Sampaio, ‘Our fast-growing cities are becoming hotbeds of unrest. It doesn’t have to be that way’, World Economic Forum Agenda, 10 November 2016.
- Antonio Sampaio, ‘Aggressive Takeover: Shifts in Brazil Underworld Augur Rising Violence’, Jane’s Intelligence Review, March 2017, pp. 44-49.
- Antonio Sampaio, ‘The utility of Force in Cities: Future Challenges of US Army Urban Stabilization Efforts’, in Scott N. Romaniuk and Francis Grice (eds.), The Future of US Warfare (London: Routledge, 2017).
- Antonio Sampaio, ‘Concrete Crimes: Cities Adopt Local Initiatives to Tackle Criminality’, Jane’s Intelligence Review, June 2016, pp. 38-43.
Co-founder & Research Director, Igarapé Institute/ Research Director, SecDev FoundationVIEW PROFILE
Nicolas Andres Eslava
Director, Afai Consulting BV and Advisor Fundacion Ava Jeva AmazoniaVIEW PROFILE
Research Fellow for Security and Development, IISSVIEW PROFILE
Senior Programme Officer, International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA)VIEW PROFILE