THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Senior Researcher, Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies & Executive Coordinator, Geneva Peacebuilding Platform
Achim Wennmann is Senior Researcher at the Centre on Conflict, Development and Peacebuilding (CCDP) of the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva, and Executive Coordinator of the Geneva Peacebuilding Platform, an inter-agency network that connects the critical mass of peacebuilding actors, resources, and expertise in Geneva and worldwide. He is an expert in economic perspectives on violent conflict, conflict resolution, and peacebuilding with his current research focusing on statebuilding in hybrid political orders, negotiated exists from organized crime, and conflict prevention in contexts of large-scale investments. He is author of over 50 publications with recent books including Business and Conflict in Fragile States: The Case for Pragmatic Solutions (with Brian Ganson; London: Routledge/International Institute for Strategic Studies, 2016) and The Political Economy of Peacemaking (London: Routledge, 2011). Achim has a broad advisory experience including intellectual mediation support and strategic advice for international organizations, governments, private foundations, and business. He is also co-facilitator of the Technical Working Group on the Confluence of Urban Safety and Peacebuilding Practice, and is a member of the Editorial Board of Global Governance. Achim holds a Doctorate from the Graduate Institute in Geneva.
- (with Brian Ganson) Business and Conflict in Fragile States: The Case for Pragmatic Solutions. London: Routledge for the International Institute for Strategic Studies (2016).
- (with Alexander Ramsbotham) Legitimacy and Peace Processes: From Coercion to Consent London: Conciliation Resources (2014).
- ‘The Political Economy of Violent Conflict’ in IISS, Armed Conflict Survey 2016. London: IISS (2016), p.19-32.
- (with Brian Ganson) ‘Business and Institutional Reform in Hybrid Political Orders’ in Nadine Ansorg and Sabine Kurtenbach (eds.) Institutional Reforms and Peacebuilding: Change, Path-Dependency and Societal Divisions in Post-War Communities. London: Routledge (forthcoming 2017), p. 127-149.
- ‘Sustaining Peace in the City: Perspectives on Urban Safety’ in International Centre for the Prevention of Crime (ICPC) (ed.) (forthcoming 2016) 5th International Report on Crime Prevention and Community Safety. Montréal: ICPC.
Royal Canadian Mounted PoliceVIEW PROFILE
Director, Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized CrimeVIEW PROFILE
Vice President International, Development Services Group Inc.VIEW PROFILE
Senior Advisor, Dept. of Homeland Security/FLETCVIEW PROFILE
Senior Analyst, Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized CrimeVIEW PROFILE
Director, Stop the Traffik - Centre for Intelligence Led PreventionVIEW PROFILE