Rolando's Twitter Feed
- RT @AlfredoLecona : E N O R M E, @BuenMadrazo , advirtiendo la simulación y las amenazas de la #LeyDeSeguridadInteior si un contrincante polí… 2 hours ago
- Police shoot far more people than anyone realized, a VICE News investigation reveals – VICE News https://t.co/UiPR0Ej2kA 3 hours ago
- No #democracy surrenders its internal security to the Armed Forces w no accountability. It is happening in #Mexico… https://t.co/nC6C9QxluH 5 hours ago
- I'll just reiterate how much I love my @bromptonbicycle #brompton #commute #cycling https://t.co/2W8apzWQsI 5 hours ago
- The one and only #Cab @stevecaballero @PowellPeralta https://t.co/EcrRmDC8lm 5 hours ago
Lecturer, Macquarie University
Dr. Rolando Ochoa holds a PhD in Sociology and an MPhil in Latin American Studies, both from the University of Oxford, UK. He has carried out research on the history and political economy of kidnapping in Mexico, as well as the impact of organized crime on fragile states. He has also focused on how how individuals solve issues of trust and reputation in contexts of weak rule of law and inside criminal organizations.
Prior to joining SSC, he was a post-Doctoral Fellow and Lecturer at the School of Sociology, at the Australian National University (ANU). He has also worked as a Senior Analyst at the International Centre for the Prevention of Crime (ICPC) in Canada, where he acquired important policy experience and a Senior Researcher at the Asia Pacific Centre for the Prevention of Crime (APCPC), at Griffith University.
- Organized crime (Latin America and Asia Pacific)
- The political economy of crime
- Governance of criminal organizations
- Trust and reputation
Rolando is currently focusing his research on the recruitment practices of criminal organizations, as well as the presence of Mexican drug cartels in the Asia Pacific region.
- Ochoa, R. Intimate Crimes: Gangs, Kidnapping and Trust in Mexico City. (Forthcoming). Oxford University Press.
- Ochoa, Rolando and Adam Graycar. 2016. “Tackling Conflict of Interest: Policy Instruments in Different Settings” Public Integrity, Vol. 18, Issue 1.
- Ochoa, Rolando. 2012. “Not Just the Rich: New Tendencies in Kidnapping in Mexico City.” Global Crime, Vol. 13, Issue 1: 1-21.
- Miraglia, Paula, Rolando Ochoa and Ivan Briscoe. 2012. “Transnational Organized Crime and Fragile States.” INCAF-OECD Thematic Papers: International Factors Affecting Conflict and Fragility, Paris, OECD.
- Miraglia, Paula. and Rolando Ochoa. 2013, “Ma sécurite, c’est un droit.” In Sécurité: vraies questions et faux débats, Edited by Roger Vicot, France, Editions L’Harmattan.
- Ochoa, Rolando, Policing Organised Crime (forthcoming, under contract) in Loader, I., Bradford, B., Jauregui, B. and Steinberg, J. (Eds.) Sage Handbook on Global Policing, Sage (2016).
- Ochoa, Rolando. Conflicts of Interest in the Public Sector (forthcoming, under contract) in Farzamand, A. (Ed), Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration and Public Policy, Springer (2016)