Senior fellow & PRISM editor, Institute for National Strategic Studies at National Defense University
Michael Miklaucic is a Senior Fellow with the Institute for National Strategic Studies, and the Director of Research, Information and Publications at the Center for Complex Operations (CCO) at National Defense University. He is also the Editor of PRISM, the journal of CCO.
Prior to this assignment he served in various positions at the U.S. Agency for International Development and the Department of State, including USAID representative on the Civilian Response Corps Inter-Agency Task Force, as the Senior Program Officer in the USAID Office of Democracy and Governance, and Rule of Law Specialist in the Center for Democracy and Governance. In 2002-2003 he served as the Department of State Deputy for War Crimes Issues. In that position he was responsible for U.S. relations with the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR), the Special Court for Sierra Leone (SCSL), war crimes issues and negotiations in East Timor and Cambodia, and the early implementation of the Sudan Peace Act.
He is the author and editor of several articles and books, including editor of “Convergence: Illicit Networks and National Security in the Age of Globalization,” “Impunity: Countering Illicit Power in War and Transition,” and the recently published “Beyond Convergence: World Without Order.” His university education was at the University of California, the London School of Economics, and the School for Advanced International Studies. He is adjunct professor of U.S. foreign policy at American University and Conflict and Development at George Mason University, and sits on several academic and professional advisory boards.
- PRISM, a journal published by the Center for Complex Operation.
- Beyond Convergence: World Without Order.
- Impunity: Countering Illicit Power in War and Transition.
- Convergence: Illicit Networks and National Security in the Age of Globalization.
- Monopoly of force: The nexus of DDR and SSR.
- Commanding Heights: Strategic Lessons from Complex Operations.
- “The Tea Fallacy“, Small Wars Journal, March 2010.
- “USAID Should Become the Department of Nation-Building“, with Max Boot, Foreign Policy, 22 June 2016.