Charlie's Twitter Feed
- RT @ukhomeoffice : Home Secretary @AmberRudd_MP thanks police for their bravery & professionalism following the attacks in Westminster https… 19 hours ago
- RT @ukhomeoffice : Home Secretary @AmberRudd_MP announces a £6 million innovation fund for projects to combat #modernslavery: https://t.co/b… 2 weeks ago
- RT @UKinSomalia : Important talks w UN @unicefsomalia & humanitarian partners @WFPSomalia @faoinsomalia @OCHASom on stepping up drought resp… 2 weeks ago
- RT @NDuquet : Another example of large-scale reactivation: >10.000 assault rifles, machine guns, shells, grenades & handguns seized in illeg… 2 weeks ago
- RT @vickyford : My report on EU firearms law passed 491v178 Strengthening security & supporting legal owners Thanks @CAupdates @BASCnews @IP … 2 weeks ago
Senior Research Fellow/Director National Security and Resilience, RUSI
Charlie Edwards is a Senior Research Fellow and Director of National Security and Resilience Studies at the Royal United Services Institute. Prior to RUSI he was a Research Leader at the RAND Corporation focusing on Defence and Security where he conducted research and analysis on a broad range of subject areas including: the evaluation and implementation of counter-violent extremism programmes in Europe and Africa, UK cyber strategy, European emergency management, and the role of the internet in the process of radicalisation. He has undertaken fieldwork in Iraq, Somalia, and the wider Horn of Africa region.
Charlie is a former Deputy Director for Strategy and Planning in the Office for Security and Counter Terrorism (Home Office). In this role he was responsible for the development of the UK’s counter-terrorism strategy (CONTEST 2011) and was the official charged with independent oversight of the Prevent Review. He ran the security programme at the think tank Demos for three years where he worked on UK national security strategy and resilience. He has conducted major research and analysis projects for the European Commission, European and Canadian Governments, and the US Administration. He is a regular commentator in national and international media.
- The Politics of Surveillance, RUSI Blog, 14 March 2014
- Will things break apart in 2014? Security Predictions Ahead, RUSI Blog, 7 Jan 2014
- The National Crime Agency: Britain’s Response to Organised Crime, RUSI Blog, 13 Nov 2013
- Afghanistan’s Opium Trade: Why Britain should not kick the drug habit in 2014, RUSI Blog, 12 July 2013
- The Crime-Terror Nexus in West Africa, RUSI Blog, 15 May 2013