Arthur's Twitter Feed
- RT @PDWilliamsGWU : . @nikkihaley “This is why the President is sending me to #Africa.” https://t.co/IvusDnYmee 2 days ago
- RT @NorwayMFA : Outgoing foreign minister @borgebrende with his successor Ine Eriksen Søreide at @NorwayMFA handover ceremony https://t.co/J… 3 days ago
- Glad #UNSC ambassadors getting taste of 1970s Soviet An-72 arctic design @UNPeacekeeping rely on in field missions… https://t.co/qPsXiEOONh 3 days ago
- RT @aurelientobie : We're recruiting for 2 positions within our #Sahel programme @SIPRIorg in Stockholm https://t.co/GlNTMXimyh 3 days ago
- RT @EnriPicco : Can the UN Build a Sustaining Peace Success in CAR? My thoughts in @ipinstGO #CARcrisis https://t.co/o44uCPsHkJ https://t.co… 4 days ago
Director of the Brian Urquhart Center for Peace Operations, International Peace Institute
Arthur Boutellis is Director of the Brian Urquhart Center for Peace Operations at the International Peace Institute (IPI). Since first joining IPI in 2011, his work has focused on a variety of policy matters related to UN peace operations (peacekeeping and special political missions), including strategic planning, management, force generation, partnerships including with the African Union, peacebuilding, mediation and peace processes, prevention, transnational organized crime, DDR/SSR, protection of civilians, and the politics of UN reform.
In addition to IPI, Arthur has worked with the UN missions in Burundi (BINUB), Chad and the Central African Republic (MINURCAT), Haiti (MINUSTAH), and most recently, Mali (MINUSMA) where he supported the 2014-15 Mali peace negotiations as part of the UN Mediation Team. His prior work with humanitarian NGOs and think tanks focused on the Middle East and Africa.
He has published widely, regularly speaks at conferences and in the media and teaches a graduate-level seminar at Columbia University. He holds a master’s degree in public affairs from the Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton University and is a graduate of the Institut d’Etudes Politiques. He is bilingual in French and English, as well as fluent in Spanish.
- “Violent Extremism: Toward A Strategy of Prevention in the Francophone Space” (IPI Meeting Note with Olga Abilova, January 2016)
- “The Future of Peace Operations: Maintaining Momentum”(IPI Meeting Note with Olga Abilova, November 2015
- “Partnership peacekeeping: Challenges and opportunities in the United Nations–African Union Relationship”(Oxford University Press: African Affairs, 113/451, 254–278, April 29, 2014) (with Paul D. Williams)
- “The Elephant in the Room: How Can Peace Operations Deal with Organized Crime?”(New York: International Peace Institute, June 2013)(with Walter Kemp and Mark Shaw)