Anton's Twitter Feed
- Top read | Succession will be complicated by factional politics within the Sudanese government.… https://t.co/3R8nEYW2QF 54 minutes ago
- Top read | A new merger of al-Qaeda-linked groups in Mali might pose serious risks for regional security.… https://t.co/ruUvWmuKJi 2 hours ago
- Next week | SA’s political turmoil. #ViewonAfrica briefing. https://t.co/avaKBJsur4 https://t.co/ZlmEEoqzgn 2 hours ago
- Top read | The US may cut up to 40% of its contribution to @UNPeacekeeping . https://t.co/7oF4npzHys https://t.co/L1JpxkfPXn 3 hours ago
- Top read | The media is a key actor in #peacebuilding, but media freedoms are being curtailed.… https://t.co/Fqde5JNXfo 4 hours ago
Anton du Plessis
Managing Director, Institute for Security Studies
Anton du Plessis is the Managing Director of the ISS and Head of the Transnational Threats and International Crime Division. He has worked on human security, international criminal justice and rule of law issues in over 20 African countries, with a focus on delivering training and technical assistance to senior law enforcement and criminal justice officials. Anton has three law degrees and is an admitted advocate of the High Court of South Africa with more than 13 years of legal and management experience. He has worked as a consultant and expert advisor to various UN entities and other intergovernmental organisations, including the UN’s Counter-Terrorism Implementation Task Force, and is a member of the World Economic Forum’s Global Agenda Council on Terrorism.
Before assuming his current positions, Anton was head of the International Crime in Africa Programme (ICAP) at the ISS. Prior to joining the ISS to found ICAP in early 2008, Anton was a criminal justice and counter-terrorism legal expert for the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) in Vienna. Before that he was head of the Crime and Justice Programme at the ISS where he worked on a broad range of crime and criminal justice policy, research and technical assistance projects. Anton has also worked as a Senior State Advocate at the National Prosecuting Authority of South Africa where he specialised in the prosecution of serious and violent offences, including rape and gang-related crimes. Anton has published numerous articles, book chapters and training guides, and is the co-author of Counter-Terrorism Law and Practice: A Practitioners’ Handbook published by Oxford University Press.
- A du Plessis, M Polaine, A Sambei, Counter-Terrorism Law and Practice: A Practitioners’ Handbook, Oxford University Press, London, March 2009.
- A du Plessis, T Leggett, A Louw, P Burton & D Mistry, National Victims of Crime Survey: South Africa 2003, ISS Monograph Series No 101, Pretoria, Institute for Security Studies, July 2004.
Chapters in books
- A du Plessis, Criminal justice responses to terrorism in Africa, A Salinas de Friás, KLH Samuel and ND White (eds), Counter-Terrorism: International Law and Practice, Oxford University Press, London, October 2011.
- A du Plessis, International cooperation in criminal matters; International Criminal Law and the ICC, Criminal Procedure in South Africa, Palmer, du Plessis, (eds), Oxford University Press, South Africa, forthcoming.
- A du Plessis, International Criminal Justice Cooperation in Counter-Terrorism since 9/11, International criminal law responses to terrorism, Leiden University Press, October 2010.
- A du Plessis, M Schonteich, The South African prosecution service, Promoting prosecutorial accountability, independence and effectiveness, Open Society Institute Justice Initiative, June 2008.
Articles and research papers
- A du Plessis, C Gevers, Defining the crime of aggression: a Pyrrhic victory for Africa?, African Legal Aid Journal, AFLA, November 2010.
- A du Plessis, A timely end to the war on terror, The African.org, August 2009.
- A du Plessis, The Universal Legal Framework Against Terrorism and the Role of the UNODC in Building Counter-Terrorism Capacity in Africa, Understanding Terrorism in Africa, ISS Workshop Series, Pretoria, Institute for Security Studies, March 2007.
- A du Plessis, Towards a safe South Africa: The 2003/2004 SAPS crime statistics, South African Crime Quarterly, Volume 12, June 2005.
- A du Plessis, A Louw, Crime and Crime Prevention in South Africa: 10 years on. Canadian Journal of Criminology and Criminal Justice 1st edition, 2005.
- A du Plessis, When can I shoot? The use of lethal force to defend property, South African Security Focus Journal, November 2004.
- A du Plessis, Human trafficking in Southern Africa, National Prosecuting Authority, Sexual Offences Journal, March 2003.
- A du Plessis, Prosecuting complex sexual offences cases, National Prosecuting Authority, Sexual Offences Journal, June 2002.