THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Meet the Experts
Senior Criminal Justice and Policy Expert/ Deputy Director General, Transnational Alliance to Combat Illicit Trade
Stefano Betti specializes in legal and policy research, training and project management in the area of international crime and criminal justice. Over the past two years, he has provided expert advise to such entities as the Security Council’s Counter Terrorism Executive Directorate, UNODC, UNICRI, WIPO and the International Chamber of Commerce.
He also serves as Deputy Director General of the Transnational Alliance to Combat Illicit Trade (TRACIT), a new business-led initiative to mitigate the economic and social damages of illicit trade by strengthening government enforcement mechanisms and integrating supply chain controls across industry sectors. Other ongoing collaborations in the illicit trade sector include projects with the Siracusa Institute for Criminal Justice and Human Rights and Oxford Economics.
He is Visiting Lecturer in International and Comparative Law at the University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
Between 2013 and 2016, Stefano was Senior Counsel at INTERPOL’s Office of Legal Affairs, where he headed the Organization’s legal program on illicit trade.
Before then, he held positions at UNODC, UNICRI and the European Parliament Secretariat. At the Terrorism Prevention Branch of UNODC, in particular, he delivered training and legislative drafting assistance to several developing countries, especially in Sub-Saharan Africa, on the implementation of the universal legal framework against terrorism. Within UNODC’s Corruption and Economic Crimes Branch, he provided substantive support to the Intergovernmental Review Mechanism of the UN Convention against Corruption (UNCAC) by leading country visits, drafting reports on anti-corruption as well as facilitating technical and diplomatic exchanges between reviewing countries and countries under review.
Stefano holds a Master degree in “EU Studies: EU Policy-Making” from the London School of Economics, an honor diploma in International Nuclear Law from the University of Montpellier (France) and a Law Degree from the University of Milan (Italy).
He is fluent in English, French, Spanish and Italian.
- State of Implementation of the UN Convention against Corruption (co-author), 2nd edition, United Nations, 2017;
- Key Global Enforcement Issues on Illicit Trade in Goods, in “Handbook of Research on Counterfeiting and Illicit Trade”, ed. Peggy Chaudry, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2017;
- The Weapons of the Law against Terrorism: a UN Expert Between Codes, Diplomacy and Legal Assistance (original title in Italian), Franco Angeli, 2008;
- The EU and the UN Convention Against Transnational Organized Crime, European Parliament Secretariat, Sept.2001;
- Criminal law and intelligence-led investigations: preventive tools against IP crime? World Trademark Review, April 2016;
- Prosecuting counterfeiters under organized crime legislation, World Trademark Review, April 2015;
- Prosecuting counterfeiting and organized crime: the need for a creative legal approach, World Trademark Review, April 2014;
- The New Convergence between International Criminal Law, Nuclear Non-Proliferation and Maritime Security, Freedom from Fear, Issue 3, UNICRI and Max Planck Institute, 2010;
- A member of Al Qaeda Shows Up at Your Border: Expulsion, Prosecution or Something Else?, European Journal of Crime, Criminal Law and Criminal Justice, Mar.2009;
- The Duty to Bring Terrorists to Justice and Discretionary Prosecution, International Journal of Criminal Justice, Nov.2006;
- Coping with terrorist threats at major events, Forum on Crime and Society, Dec.2004;
- New Prospects for International Cooperation in Criminal Matters: the Palermo Convention, International Criminal Law Review, Jan.2003.
Strategic Policy Advisor, INTERPOLVIEW PROFILE
Partner, KPMG LLPPartner, KPMG LLPVIEW PROFILE
Silvia Maria Tăbuşcă
Coordinator of the Human Security Program, European Center for Legal Education and ResearchVIEW PROFILE
Office Director, Anti-Crime Program Office, Bureau for International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs, U.S. Department of StateVIEW PROFILE
Lecturer, Macquarie UniversityVIEW PROFILE
Executive Director, INTERPOL Global Complex for InnovationVIEW PROFILE