THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Meet the Experts
Political Scientist, RAND Corporation
In addition to his work at RAND, he is an associate fellow at the International Centre for Counter-Terrorism (ICCT)-The Hague, in the Netherlands, and a lecturer at Carnegie Mellon University where he teaches courses on terrorism, insurgency and the future of warfare.
Clarke has briefed his research at a range of national and international security forums, including the U.S. Army War College, US Air Force Special Operations School, Society for Terrorism Research International Conference, the Global Counterterrorism Forum (GCTF) and the Counter ISIS Financing Group (CIFG), which is part of the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS.
He appears frequently in the media, has been quoted in The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Wall Street Journal, and has published his research in Foreign Affairs, Foreign Policy, The Atlantic, Politico, Lawfare, and numerous scholarly journals, including Small Wars & Insurgencies, Historical Methods, and Military Operations Research.
Clarke is the author of Terrorism, Inc.: The Financing of Terrorism, Insurgency, and Irregular Warfare, published in 2015 by Praeger Security International and is currently working on Terrorism: The Essential Reference Guide, also by Praeger and due to be published in 2018.
He received his Ph.D. in international security policy from the University of Pittsburgh.
- Colin P. Clarke, Terrorism Inc.: The Financing of Terrorism, Insurgency, and Irregular Warfare, Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, Praeger Security International, 2015.
- Phil Williams and Colin P. Clarke, “Iraqi and Syrian Networks,” in Kim Thachuk and Rollie Lal, eds., Terrorist Criminal Enterprises, forthcoming 2017.
- Colin P. Clarke, “Organized Crime and Trafficking: Mapping Out the Threats and Actors to Find Solutions,” in Michel Gueldry et al., Today’s Imperatives, Tomorrow’s Conundrums? New Forms of Insecurity in a Globalized World, forthcoming 2017.
- Tuesday Reitano, Laura Adal and Colin P. Clarke, “Examining the Nexus Between Organised Crime and Terrorism and Its Implications for EU Programming,” joint publication of ICCT-The Hague and the Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized Crime, 2017.
- Colin P. Clarke, “Drugs & Thugs: Funding Terrorism Through Narcotics Trafficking,” Journal of Strategic Security, Vol.9, No.3, Special Issue Fall 2016: Emerging Threats, pp.1-15.
- Colin P. Clarke, “The Financing of Terrorism & Insurgency Through Drug Trafficking,” in Philip Reichel, ed., Transnational Crime and Global Security, Routledge, forthcoming 2017.
Nicolas Andres Eslava
Director, Afai Consulting BVVIEW PROFILE
Senior Criminal Justice and Policy Expert/ Deputy Director General, Transnational Alliance to Combat Illicit TradeVIEW PROFILE
Independent ExpertVIEW PROFILE
Senior Research Fellow, Global Initiative against Transnational Organized CrimeVIEW PROFILE
Lecturer, School of International Relations, St. Andrews UniversityVIEW PROFILE
Chief Research and Trend Analysis Branch, United Nations Office on Drugs and CrimeVIEW PROFILE