THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE NETWORK
Meet the Experts
Senior Research Analyst, Global Initiative against Transnational Organized Crime
Dr Annette Hübschle is a senior researcher and postdoctoral fellow with the Global Risk Governance Programme at the University of Cape Town (UCT) and is affiliated with UCT’s Centre of Criminology. She is also a senior fellow of the Global Initiative, specializing in African transnational organized crime networks.
Annette graduated with a PhD in economic sociology and political economy from the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies. She was a senior researcher at the South African-based Institute for Security Studies. She has worked as a researcher, consultant and practitioner on organized crime, environmental security and broader African security issues.
Her current research focuses on the governance of safety and security, with a focus on illegal wildlife economies and environmental futures, as well as the interface between licit and illicit economies and criminal networks.
- “A Game of Horns: Transnational Flows of Rhino Horn“, Studies on the Social and Political Constitution of the Economy, Cologne: International Max Planck Research School on the Social and Political Constitution of the Economy.
- “Economic sociology and opportunities for organised crime research“, Economic Sociology_The European Newsletter, Vol. 16, No. 3, July 2015.
- “Of Bogus Hunters, Queenpins and Mules: The Varied Roles of Women in Transnational Organized Crime in Southern Africa“, Trends in Organized Crime17, 1–2, 2014.
- “Organized crime and law enforcement in Southern Africa: The challenges confronting research“, SADC Law Journal, Vol. 2, Issue 2, October 2012 (co-authored with Elrena van der Spuy).
- “From Theory to Practice: Exploring the Organised Crime-Terror in Nexus in Sub-Saharan Africa“, Perspectives on Terrorism, Vol. 5, No. 3-4 (2011), pp 81-95.
Independent Legal Consultant, retired officer in the Indian Police ServiceVIEW PROFILE
Muhammad Shoaib Suddle
Director & Senior Fellow, Global Think Tank Network, National University of Science and Technology, Islamabad, PakistanVIEW PROFILE
Group Head, Financial Crime Investigations and Intelligence, Financial Crime Compliance, Standard Chartered BankVIEW PROFILE
Enrique Desmond Arias
Associate Professor, George Mason UniversityVIEW PROFILE
Analyst, Global Initiative against Transnational Organized CrimeVIEW PROFILE
Multi-Media Editor, BBC World Service (London); Visiting Lecturer, University of Westminster (London) and Young Global Leader, World Economic Forum (Geneva)VIEW PROFILE